Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a system with winXP and SUSE 9.2 installed already. I want to install debian also. will this work? has anyone tried this and/or know how to accomplish this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Triple Boot

I have a system with winXP and SUSE 9.2 installed already. I want to install debian also. will this work? has anyone tried this and/or know how to accomplish this as painlessly as possible?

If you're already booting successfully between SuSE and XP you're 2/3's the way there.

I presume with SuSE you used grub and installed to the MBR? Also I presume your /boot is not on a seperate partition?

Install Debian and choose grub as your bootloader and install it to your MBR. This *should* allow you now to dual boot between Debian and XP. Then it's a simple matter of copying your SuSE entry in your SuSE /boot/grub/menu.lst and pasting it into your newly created Debian /boot/grub/menu.lst. That should get you triple booting. You do have room at the end of your drive for a Debian install?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

It can be done, as Dapper Dan explained. Just thought to mention that I once had triple boot with Win '98, Win 2000 and Linux (I think it was SuSE). If Windows can do it, so can Linux (and usually do it better).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    i am going to have each os on a different hard drive, will this complicate or simplify things? Also, i am pretty new at linux so i would really apreciate realitively detailed instructions on how to actually perform your suggestions.

JohnHamlin, I've never done this with more than one hard drive, but that shouldn't make it too much more difficult. Have a look at this though. I believe it will give you some necessary basics to understand how to do what you're wanting.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/4232/1/
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here