Find the answer to your Linux question:
I dont consider myself to be a n00b, but with Linux i am. OK, im running a p3 700mhz, 64MB DDR, 64MB Intel graphics card, 6 gig hard drive, its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie here, installation help needed

I dont consider myself to be a n00b, but with Linux i am. OK, im running a p3 700mhz, 64MB DDR, 64MB Intel graphics card, 6 gig hard drive, its a dell, its first ran win98, i then upgraded to XP and it ran perfectly, but ive now bought my fifth PC, and im looking to investigate other OS, as this laptop is the least valuable of them all, i thought id give it a go!

Ive downloaded the 3 images for mandrake linux 10.1, from one of thier mirrors, all went smooth. I had formatted my harddrive, and i used nero to burn the ISO's, as ISO's on disk. All went smooth, i entered my BIOS, changed the boot to boot from CD, restarted, and i get Invalid system disk, strike any key when ready!

The only thing i thought it could be is a problem with the images. Could i have burned them wrong? I have tried burning the imgaes on almost every setting in nero, none of them work. On each disk (the 3 of them), are they only meant to have the ISO on? no installation file as such, like "setup" as with windows?

Sorry to be wasting your time, any help is greatly appreciated, ive tried everything i can think of.

~Tom

Just Joined!
    I have a feeling now, its the booting problem, not and ISO problem. I will try and fix this, but any help would be great. Ive tried changing settings in the BIOS, no luck. hmmmm.

~Tom

Linux User
    I had the same problem last year, but my images were burned badly. You should try to burn them again. Are you sure you burned them correctly so that you can boot from them?
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    OK, ive tried burning with slightly different settings, so ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help

Just Joined!
    OK, ISO level 1, Mode 1, character set ISO9660 w/no other settings. What can be wrong with tht??

I know my CD drive is booting, cos it says so, and i can hear it, but it seems to instantly load whatever is in my floppy drive, and if there is nothing it says:

Invalid system disk, please replace disk and press any key.

Obviously this is because it has nothing to load. Is it that it just isnt reading the CD?

Just Joined!

I figured it out! I didnt open the ISO, i just burned. I cant believe i didnt think of that, i feel so thick.

Thanks for your help, installation in progress. Cant wait to start using mandrake.

See you on the boards!

Linux User
    Glad you made it.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    Me too, bababababa, im lovin' it

looking to network my XP machine and mandrake, using samba. i should be able to manage that though

Just Joined!
    To the guy that emailed me - use nero, dont just burn the images to disc as an ISO. You have to open them. use all the standard ISO settings Nero gives you. File>Open>ISO image

Then burn the disc. That should work fine

Tom