Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am experimenting with a new machine and suse 9.2, and would like to set up a RAID1 array over two 80Gb IDE drives. The intention is to use this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing suse 9.2 with software RAID

I am experimenting with a new machine and suse 9.2, and would like to set up a RAID1 array over two 80Gb IDE drives. The intention is to use this machine as a file server at the office. My first attempt to configure the RAID during installation failed miserably and have since found that the two drives have to be on different IDE Bus. First mistake. So I installed again using all the default settings and suse installed beautifully on one 80Gb drive - the second was ignored. Have run this installation for a week or two with no problems - checked out compatibility with the rest of the network / Samba etc. All seems OK.

Decided to have another go at getting the RAID going. Tried to partition and format the second 80Gb drive without any luck. I don't really understand the mount points bit. I used the mount point /usr (which was offered!) and basically lost the contents of this directory - hence breaking the installation. Not sure whether this was in the RAID setup bit or in LVM - I tried quite a lot of things!

Have now installed again with each IDE dive on a separate bus. I haven't been able to find any help on how best to partition the drives. I set up a SWAP on hda of 1GB and partitioned the rest for RAID. The second drive I partition as one for RAID. When I hit the "go" button I got a message that said I had mounted the /boot on a software raid and that basically it might not work- do I want to continue. As I didn't know what else to do I continued with the installion, and it seems to have worked. I have rebooted a few times and all seems well. I now wonder how stable this will be. Should the main linux install be on a partition outside of the RAID?

Can anyone tell me how I should have partitioned the drives, or whether I'm OK with what I've done? There seems to be little help available on actual partitioning examples for RAID in the manual. Also if anyone can help with the actual correct settings in YaST for RAID1, and mount points I would be much obliged. How can I tell whether the RAID is working ? Removing one of the drives as a test seems a little extreme! (would the machine still boot up and work if I did this, or would a new disk be required and rebuilt before it will work again? - not really clear on the theory!)

Andy

What you have done is OK. If you are going to be using it as a file server, however, I would set up at least three partitions:

a swap partition

the / partition

a third partition (most of the space), perhaps named /storage

The reason I would use the third partition for your actual file storage is that if you had to reinstall for some reason, you could just re-use the partition and not have to restore from backup, etc.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks Flatline

So if I were to start again, would you say the following would be better:

disk1 : 2Gb SWAP, 3Gb Linux native(spare space), 75Gb Linux RAID (for storage)

disk2 : 5Gb Linux native (for /), 75Gb Linux RAID (for storage)

Is 5Gb enough to install - current install is about 3.8Gb - should I allow a bit more for future applications ?

What would be the "mount points" I should set for the above?

Thanks again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    That setup would work. I might leave a bit more space for your / partition, just in case you want to add something later. You could name the mount point for the RAID container anything you wanted.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks very much for your help.

I now have to find out how to backup the data regularly.

I thought I'd do a scheduled copy of all data to a networked drive every night, and maybe once a week copy all files to an 80Gb USB drive.

I have used batch files, xcopy etc in windows for this in the past - not sure how this works in linux.

Can anyone recommend a solution ?

Since you're using Suse 9.2, it couldn't get much easier to schedule backups...there's a YAST module for it. In the "System" section of YAST, there's a module named "System Backup". You create a backup profile and schedule there. Happy sailing!

- Jeremy S. Anderson

thanks - will check it out