Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, I am really stuck today.... I have had two hard drives in my computer (one has windows, the other fedora core).. Now I have another fedora hard drive which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Project is Killing meeee... I need help... Please

Greetings,

I am really stuck today....

I have had two hard drives in my computer (one has windows, the other fedora core)..

Now I have another fedora hard drive which I want to extract information into the fedora core.

The problem is when I installed fedora it installed a version of grub of which it allows me to choose fedora/other(windows)..

Now, the problem occurs when I install the other hard drive with fedora it loads its grup no matter what (master or slave)..

I tried loading the core's hard drive manually from the f1, but it halts on GRUB word..

I can not mount/boot ANY of the hard drives (windows or fedora) it just wont work..

it says unexpected excuting on windows and can not mount on fedora...

I tried to boot the project but I dont know what kernel (where its located) and I cant find (FIND vlmuniz) on it..

I need help, please help me

I would apprecatie it..

Thanks,
    Aziz

If you just want to extract some files from the Fedora project disk and put them onto your other hard disk (I think this is what you're asking for), it may be easiest to boot up with both drives in the machine from a live cd (like Knoppix). When you're done, remove the project disk and you're back to normal.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    If you just want to extract some files from the Fedora project disk and put them onto your other hard disk (I think this is what you're asking for), it may be easiest to boot up with both drives in the machine from a live cd (like Knoppix). When you're done, remove the project disk and you're back to normal.
    Thanks flatline for your great fast response..

I went to download Knoppix:

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/

but I see many files... download all of them and burn them into a cd?

Thanks Alot,
    Aziz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The only one you really need is:

KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    The only one you really need is:

KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso
    Thanks alot man I really appreciate it...

Will take me some time to download the file thou

I will burn it after its done and try it...

Isnt there anything smaller (like a bootupdisk) of which you know (if any)..

Again thanks for your great advises..

Peace,

Nothing as full-featured as knoppix, but there are a lot of small livecd distros out there like DamnSmallLinux, etc.

Be sure to burn the .iso file as a cd image and not to just put the file on the cd....iso files are kind of like "snapshots" of a cd, so they need to be "interpreted" by the burning software.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Nothing as full-featured as knoppix, but there are a lot of small livecd distros out there like DamnSmallLinux, etc.

Be sure to burn the .iso file as a cd image and not to just put the file on the cd....iso files are kind of like "snapshots" of a cd, so they need to be "interpreted" by the burning software.
    Hi flatline,

I tried to install DSL (damnsmalllinux), used the file manager to copy the files... but now I dont even have permissions to open them (not root, tried to excute commands as owner but wouldnt work)..

I also tried to delete the new drive's grub folder.. but again premissions...

Is there anyway I can use my old fedora and still have accces to the new hard drive (take away boot option on the new hard drive)...

I appreciate any help,

Aziz,

azizny why not try and edit the /etc/grub.conf on the fedora hard drive?

You can then add the other Fedora to it, and then boot to it and then copy the files.

To do this you must edit the /etc/grub/conf as root.

Add a few lines that look like this:
    Code:
    Title Other fedora
        kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3 ro root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-3.img
    you must replace the (hd1.0) with the hard drive, and partition, follow the following for a guide, since the hd numbering in GrUB is different from Linux:
    Code:
     /dev/hda1   (hd0,0)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hda2   (hd0,1)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hda3   (hd0,2)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdb1   (hd1,0)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdb2   (hd1,1)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdb3   (hd1,2)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdc1   (hd2,0)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdc2   (hd2,1)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdc3   (hd2,2)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdd1   (hd3,0)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdd2   (hd3,1)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdd3   (hd3,2)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, third partition
    and also change the /dev/hdb1 for the normal Linux drive number.

You will also have to replace the vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3 with whatever you have on your other fedora hard drive in /boot. Also do this regarding the initrd-2.6.8.1-3.img.

If you want to see these from the new fedora drive mount the drive with
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mkdir /mnt/fedora
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/fedora
    replacing the hdb1 with the real drive and partition number for the origianl fedora drive.

You should now be able to boot into your origianal Fedora install via the second Fedora's GrUB. there you can mount the secondary fedora drive and get the information out.

For more information on editing GrUB etc read here.

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    azizny why not try and edit the /etc/grub.conf on the fedora hard drive?

You can then add the other Fedora to it, and then boot to it and then copy the files.

To do this you must edit the /etc/grub/conf as root.

Add a few lines that look like this:
    Code:
    Title Other fedora
        kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3 ro root=/dev/hdb1
        initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-3.img
    you must replace the (hd1.0) with the hard drive, and partition, follow the following for a guide, since the hd numbering in GrUB is different from Linux:
    Code:
     /dev/hda1   (hd0,0)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hda2   (hd0,1)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hda3   (hd0,2)      First hard disk on first IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdb1   (hd1,0)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdb2   (hd1,1)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdb3   (hd1,2)      Second hard disk on first IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdc1   (hd2,0)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdc2   (hd2,1)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdc3   (hd2,2)      First hard disk on second IDE cable, third partition
    /dev/hdd1   (hd3,0)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, first partition
    /dev/hdd2   (hd3,1)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, second partition
    /dev/hdd3   (hd3,2)      Second hard disk on second IDE cable, third partition
    and also change the /dev/hdb1 for the normal Linux drive number.

You will also have to replace the vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3 with whatever you have on your other fedora hard drive in /boot. Also do this regarding the initrd-2.6.8.1-3.img.

If you want to see these from the new fedora drive mount the drive with
    Code:
    su
    [rootpass]
    mkdir /mnt/fedora
    mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/fedora
    replacing the hdb1 with the real drive and partition number for the origianl fedora drive.

You should now be able to boot into your origianal Fedora install via the second Fedora's GrUB. there you can mount the secondary fedora drive and get the information out.

For more information on editing GrUB etc read here.

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Thanks dylunio for your straight answer,

I tried to edit the "/ect/grub.conf" (the only grub.conf there is on the drive), but I cant its marked as locked in the both above listed live cds..

Now I will try to reboot and edit it via the grub itself (now that I know where it is).

Thanks again,

Aziz

Edit: I did actually load up with the grub of the new hard drive (all text no graphics)..

No using the find, I try to find /etc/grub.conf, only one come up on the hd2,0 (the old hard drive) reading that file I see two options to load (the old fedora and windows)

Whenever I load the fedora it says (root it -> file system type unkown, partion type 0x7 kernerl -> cannot mount selected partion)..

On windows (.. rootnoverify --> ok, chainloader --> cant not exucte)..

How do I locate the grub of the new hard drive and edit it with grub?

Is there any way I can run the hard drive as owner (root) from knoppix, or is there any applications that break the owner level?

Peace,

in the future you can, if you have a system able to boot, use Webmin to edit the grub.conf file easier

http://www.webmin.com/