Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i wanna go for a tripple boot. not sure how realistic it is but i have windows 2000 mandrake 9.1 and i want to experiment with others so my question ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

tripple boot?

i wanna go for a tripple boot. not sure how realistic it is but i have windows 2000 mandrake 9.1 and i want to experiment with others so my question is, is it possible to do a tripple boot?

Linux Guru
    Well naturally. No boot loaders that I know of are limited to just booting two systems. Just add another one as you normally would.

Linux Enthusiast
    the key is to know that you are only allowed four primary partitions per disk, after that is it just a matter of knowing how to edit your grub.conf

I used to have a triple boot. Xp, W2K3 and RH 9.
    They were all installed on one disk. I got sick of rebooting the computer though

Cheers
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Guru
    Did you have W2k3 installed? Can you tell me what is supposed to be so special about it?

Linux Enthusiast
    from what I hear, it is called "Longhorn" and there is virtually nothing special about it at all, it looks and behaves almost identical to xp

It's not Longhorn. Longhorn is supposed to be XP's successor. Windows 2003 is the new server platform. It looks like XP.
    It's supposed to be an improvement of W2K.
    I haven't really tested but it has a 'newer' version of AD. If I am not mistaken it supports password policies on a per OU basis rather than domain based. It also has IIS 6 and all the .net stuff is integrated.

I installed to get familiar with it but I decided to spend some quality time with linux instead
    I am on a journey to mastering Linux and I got a bloody long way to go!!!

Linux Guru
    That seems kind of healthy.

You know what? I wanted to see what it was all about, so I downloaded th installation ISO tonight and tried to install it. Here's what happened:

First, I tried to install it on an empty partition of my second hard drive, and while the installation went great, it was then unable to boot (saying it couldn't find NTLDR).
    Then, I disconnected all the hard drives I had in the computer and put in a spare one. Once again the installation went great, but then when I booted from the hard drive and it was about to finalize the installation, I got two mysterious messages followed by a bluescreen.
    So all in all, I never got it fully installed. Now, why am I not surprised? =)

Linux Enthusiast
    right, i was getting the 2003 server and longhorn confused.

as they say on the streets..... "my bad" lol

anyway, perhaps you got a bad iso Dolda?

Linux Guru
    Who knows? It's hard to tell since they didn't provide MD5 sums. I guess it's not very strange that they couldn't provide MD5's, since each ISO has to be adapted to the product key, but then again... product keys are great, really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast