Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello - Currently i'm running SuSE 8.1 - It's nice and it works but It's DEFINATELY thick with crap I don't need... After doing some research I've found GENTOO is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

from SuSE to GENTOO

Hello -
    Currently i'm running SuSE 8.1 - It's nice and it works but It's DEFINATELY thick with crap I don't need... After doing some research I've found GENTOO is probably the best way for me to go about customizing my system. Plus It'll help me learn more about configuration and the different options available. Here's my dilemma... I have one hard drive... 80G... My home directory is currently sitting at 14G -> 9G music and CodeWeavers Wine with 3 or 4 installs... Crossover office with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, and 4D... how can I save all this data, repartition my HD, install and configure GENTOO and put this stuff back? By the way, for some stupid reason I can't seem to get the IDE chain to function properly so transferring 8G of music from one patition to another takes nearly 9 hours... it's a UDMA133 with 500mhz FSB - any ideas? And burning a CD takes about 30 minutes on a 40X burner... again, any ideas? OH, and the videos on Diablo II and others skip and get out of synch when played from the CD... any ideas??

CHEERS!!
    Cole

Linux Guru
    As for the performance problems, is DMA turned on for your hard drive? Check with "hdparm -d /dev/hda" (If your harddrive isn't /dev/hda, just replace it).

I don't know if the Gentoo Live CD comes with resize2fs on it. Does anyone know? If so, just boot the Gentoo Live CD, shrink the filesystem with resize2fs and then shrink the partition with fdisk. After that, you can create a new partition in the newly freed space.

Just Joined!

Gentoo Live CD comes with resize2fs

Sure does

Gentoo Linux supports a variety of different types of filesystems; each type has its strengths and weaknesses and its own set of performance characteristics. Currently, we support the creation of ext2, ext3, XFS, JFS and ReiserFS filesystems.

This will help answer some questions regarding install
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

Save the data? Ya make a new partition and move it there.
    Check DMA forsure.

Linux Guru

Re: Gentoo Live CD comes with resize2fs

Quote Originally Posted by Mi55ioN
    Currently, we support the creation of ext2, ext3, XFS, JFS and ReiserFS filesystems.
    We? Are you on the gentoo team?

Linux Newbie
    I think he just copied and pasted.

Linux Newbie

Re: Gentoo Live CD comes with resize2fs

Quote Originally Posted by Mi55ioN
    Gentoo Linux supports a variety of different types of filesystems; each type has its strengths and weaknesses and its own set of performance characteristics. Currently, we support the creation of ext2, ext3, XFS, JFS and ReiserFS filesystems.
    Can you compare for us, or show site that does in layman terms. I want to know which to pick when installing. Thanks.
    Ack!