Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a complete novice to Linux. I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 and am grappling with the change over from Windows. I must say that i like waht i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hardware Config problems

Hi, I am a complete novice to Linux. I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 and am grappling with the change over from Windows. I must say that i like waht i see so far. I have however two main problems.
    1. My Modum being a controllerless win modum was not detected on installation. I have visited Linuxant.com and downloaded recent drivers and installed them however i cannot see a "device manager" within Mandrake 9.1. How do i manage hardware within this OS?
    PS has anyone been successful with this type of Modum i.e 56K PCI HSF
    ID Ven 127A Device 1025.

2. I cannot get my HP Scanjet 5100 to work, the OS won't recognise it i have tried Scandrake??? and it won't detect it. I have heard that P Port devices don't sit to well with Linux is this true. Is their no hope with this one.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
    Tats

Linux Enthusiast
    try running kppp for your modem, if a winmodem works at all, consider yourself lucky

as far as your scanner goes, is it supported by mdk? it might not be detecting it cuz it may not support it.

Linux Guru
    I don't think Linux has any problems with parport devices, at least not that I've heard or experienced. It seems that sane supports your HP 5100, and I suppose that Scandrake uses Sane. I don't use Mdk, though, so I don't know for sure.

I wouldn't hope too much for that WinModem, though. Stories with WinModems range all from utter failure to ultimate success, but I think most end in failure. As for managing hardware, I don't know what solutions mandrake has, but as I recall, it's supposed to built in to KDE. But if all that fails, you can always use the native tools - lspci, lsusb, the /proc/ filesystem and so on.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your advice guys, I have tried Sane, it does not detect the scanner. I take it the native tools you mention are launched within the terminal window? As i'm new to Linux (and a wee bit lazy) i would prefer a GUI config tool, i'll take a look at the Mandrake site.

Linux Guru
    Since it is a parport device, you might have to configure the scanner manually. I don't have a scanner (not that I use with sane, at least), so I don't really know how the sane configuration works.

Linux Engineer
    in my experience, mandrake will use a winmodem just fine if u dload mdk specific drivers for it
    go to www.linmodems.org
    ur problem tho, is that its an HCF modem and not an HSF as windows is telling u. I know this by looking at http://www.yourvote.com/pci/pciread.asp?venid=0x127A (note the 127A which is the first 4 letters of the code it gave u... the manufacturer) Then go down about half way until u find 0x1025 (the last 4 letters) this is the product code.
    now u know its a conexant hcf modem u go to linmodems.org and click on conextant drivers and click thru to the hcf downloads page. or go straight to it from my link http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/...s-mdk-x86.html

download whatever kernel version u have. (find out by "uname -r" at a terminal)

then run "rpm -ivh /<<path to file>>/hcfpcimodem etc etc.rpm" from a terminal (u need to su first)

follow all the prompts and ur modem is ready

check that it has been set to /dev/modem by typing "ll /dev/modem" and making sure it points to ttySHFC0

now go to mcc (or click mandrake control center)

go to internet and networks i think its called

setup ur connection and tell it u want to connect using /dev/modem

Just Joined!
    Awesome Advice Hellmasker! I writing this reply via my winmodum connection just fine. I had to have a bit of a fiddle but got there in the end (i think we may share some Kiwi ingenuity) Thanks again... now on to my scanner!

Linux Newbie

scanner

I also have a parallel port scanner which SANE does not recognize... if you find anything on making this work, please, let me know

Cole