Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi. i'm trying to install mandrake 10.1(or .5) on to a 5gb partition on my hard drive. i've made the partition using partition magic. the problem i'm having is with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble booting to install mandrake 10.1. cdrom.img

hi. i'm trying to install mandrake 10.1(or .5) on to a 5gb partition on my hard drive. i've made the partition using partition magic.

the problem i'm having is with the trying to boot the installation cd. i've made the cdrom.img disk using the rewwritewin program(i didn't have the cdroming file on my cd i had to download it!) and when i restart my computer it boots from the disk and then it gives this message:

Boot failed: please change disks and press a key.....

by the way when i try to boot from the cd it tells me that the disk doesn't contain any bootable material.

i just want to point out that i'm trying to install the 3 cd version linked from the mandrake site.

any one got any suggestions??

thanks

Have you made the image cd's of the downloaded images, and not just copied the .img file to the cd?

I'd have a look at this tutorial http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-20850.html regarding this.

If you did burn it as an iso image, did you burn a to fast a speed, I find x4 is always ok with me.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    hi i didn't do that defore but i have now and its giving me a new error saying that the disk dosen't seem to be the linux installation cd rom even though i definatly it. after giving me this message if i say 'no' to retrying witha different cd it asks me to insert a floppy with 'additional drivers' but i'm not sure for what. any help?
    cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    vorney, did you check that the download wasn't corrupted by checking the md5sum of the download and comparing it to the md5sum for the disk at the download site?

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    hi i'm not sure what you mean by md5sum, i've checked that the same flies are on the cd that came in the download. is it likely that it was corrupted during transfer/ is redownloading it an option?

You can check the md5sum of the .img file with a program like this. Compare the numbers/figures that come out with a file from the page you downoladed, named most likly, <name_of_download>md5sum.txt and it will have the number the download should be.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2