Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I wanted to know how most of you are dual booting? i had a dual boot system where i was using the windows bootloader to point to lilo which of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dual Boot Question

I wanted to know how most of you are dual booting? i had a dual boot system where i was using the windows bootloader to point to lilo which of course points to linux and it seemed a very complicated way of going about it. especially since in both boot loaders they both have pointers back to the corresponding OS's as a secondary. i.e. Win Bootloader had Windows then Linux and lilo had Slackware then Windows. I know that you can install lilo to the mbr and of course now a days most distros find windows and by default install lilo with windows as an option. I just wanted to know how most are accomplishing this for a more efficient install process. I have gotten an install process down now just its more complicated than i want to go thru everytime i install.

btw i am speaking of Having Windows on one partition and slackware 10.1 on the other and nothing else no other distros.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Most of the time when I set up a dual boot for someone, Windows is already installed. Most distros automagically set up your dual-boot, so it's not much of an issue. Besides, even if they don't, it's pretty easy to add your Windows install in your bootloader.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

i always install windows first anyhow because its easier cause then it doesnt ***** about another OS being there already. what i am wanting to know though is what bootloader are you using? i was using win boot loader to point to linux with the lilo boot loader installed to /boot are you installing lilo to mbr though and i know it already adds an entry for windows now.
    Blog

On my computers I have the grub bootloader set, and on my Lin/Win computer I have 'Windows' title which boots the windows bootloader and 'SuSE' lable to boot suse, and on my Lin/Lin computer I have a 'SuSE' lable to boot suse, and a 'Yoper' line to boot Yoper.

I have not had any problems with the GrUB bootloader that came with SuSE.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

where exactly is the Grub Bootloader getting installed to? I have Lilo that is installed with Slackware no grub. i have heard grub is better in certain ways.
    Blog

The GrUB bootloader is getting installed to the hard drives MBR (Master Boot Record). I'm sure you would be able to boot everything via LiLo, but since I've never used LiLo I realy can't comment.

The Grand Unified Bootloader (GrUB) is an OS independant bootloader that has its own way of naming hard drives and partitions.
    The Linux Loader (LiLo) is a linux based bootloader, that I believe (correct me if I am wrong) can also boot MS Win etc OS's. I've also heard someware that LiLo is better for older machines.

A thing to remember is that some distro's come with a choice of bootloader for you to install, or not to install a bootloader, while others will install ether a perticular bootlader (LiLo usualy) or no bootloader.

For inctance if you have a computer with WinXP on it and then you add Slackware, slack will install LiLo, which will let you dual boot Win and Slack. Maybe later on you want to install Yoper, you could either install it without a bootloader, and add it to the /etc/lilo.conf in slack (which is easier) or you could install Yoper's bootloader and add Win and Slack to it.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

Grub boot manager or other boot manger for two hard drives?

I recently bought a second hard drive to load Mepis Linux onto. The problem was that Grub was set up wrong and could not see my master drive which has WinXP on it. Is Grub only good for one drive. or can it see a HD with WinXP and a HD for Linux?

Thanks
    Dave

Grub can definitely "see" the hard drives; you can install a huge number of OSes and boot to any of them from Grub if you know how to configure Grub.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Grub can definitely "see" the hard drives; you can install a huge number of OSes and boot to any of them from Grub if you know how to configure Grub.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

GrUB will be able to see them, you will have to add the partition to the /etc/grub/conf, for more info about grub look at this and the links on the page.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast