Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all i'm trying to install SuSe 9.1 on a RAID 0 set created on a silicon image 3112 SATA controller. i get a message saying that my RAID controller ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dualbooting XP and SuSe 9.1 on RAID 0

hi all

i'm trying to install SuSe 9.1 on a RAID 0 set created on a silicon image 3112 SATA controller. i get a message saying that my RAID controller is actually a software emulated hardware RAID device and will therefore prove challenging to set up.. so far the partitions are created in windows like this;

primary partition 15GB
    windows XP NTFS

primary partition 15GB
    unformatted, no drive letter set

extended partition 290GB
    windows data NTFS

now i want to set up SuSe on the 2nd primary partition but i can't figure it out. when i look at the drive setup in the installer my partitions appear like this;

/dev/hdi 149.0GB SP1416C 0 19456
    /dev/hdi1 14.9GB Linux native 0 1957
    /dev/hdi2 14.9GB Linux native 1958 3915
    /dev/hdi3 unknown Extended 3916 3915
    /dev/hdk 149.0GB SP1416C 0 9456

so it looks to me like there are 2 linux partitions on the first drive of the same size and nothing at all on the second. i presume it means /hdi1 is windows and hdi2 is the second primary partition (going my the start and end values). i don't want to blindly believe that tho incase i have to start all over again. maybe the fact i created each partition in windows is causing some confusion? i would have had to do it to offset the extended partition to begin with but it would be no problem now to delete that partition.

i'm lost myself a little here so if anyone can help me i'd be grateful.

It looks like /dev/hdi1 is the partition you had in mind for Windows and /dev/hdi2 would, of course, then be the linux partition. It doesn't seem to recognize /dev/hdi3 as a "real" partition...I assume that would be your RAID container. You may have some problems accessing your "big NTFS storage" after the install.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    It doesn't seem to recognize /dev/hdi3 as a "real" partition...I assume that would be your RAID container.
    i'm not sure what you mean by RAID container. the entire setup and all partitions are set up on RAID 0 by the utility in the controller's BIOS. the extended partition is not a standalone RAID array. i created that striped array and then installed windows onto it which treated it as one 320GB drive rather than 2x160GB. sorry if i didn't make that clear.

i went back to windows and deleted the 2nd primary partition. now in the SuSe installer the partitions appear;

/dev/hdi 149.0GB SP1416C 0 19456
    /dev/hdi1 14.9GB Linux native 0 1957
    /dev/hdi2 unknown Extended 1958 1957
    /dev/hdk 149.0GB SP1416C 0 19456

so now i don't even seem to have a space that the 2nd primary partition left. i had a quick google to see if anyone else had any similar issues but if i found a solution i didn't understand it! what i want to have at the end of the day is;

windows OS 15GB - SuSe OS and data 15GB - windows data 290GB

which i think breaks down to;

windows OS NTFS - SuSe /swap; /boot; /home - windows data NTFS

that is correct isn't it?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Click on the link in the installer named (I think) Partitioner (should be just above where the recommended partitions you're looking at are).

You can then tell the installer you want to use "Custom partitioning - for experts". This will bring you into a little partitioning utility where you can set up whatever you want.

I would leave the first partition blank, then use the next 15Gb of space to set up your linux partitions (you will at least need a swap partition and a / partition, /boot and /home are optional). Then you can set a mount point for the big partition if you'd like.

By the way, it's pretty much always easier to install Windows first and THEN install linux; that way the linux installer can automagically set up your dual-boot configuration.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    i think i'm going to try something else actually..

i have two SATA RAID controllers one on the motherboard and one on a PCI card. there is an issue with this setup where having two RAID sets confuses the BIOS and the system won't boot if it tries to boot from one array. there is no cure for this apparently until ASUS release a new BIOS update which they have for other boards, just not mine.

but i have 4 identical SATA drives, and 2 RAID controllers. i have a 5th SATA drive and 1 IDE drive identical to the 4 SATA ones except the interface. so if i install windows to the SATA RAID and SuSe to the IDE drive i can set the boot device to HDD 0 which should avoid the SATA boot issue. SuSe will set up a boot loader and point to the RAID array if i choose to boot to windows..

this pans out in my head but do you think it would work in practice? if it does this alone will be an example of how powerful linux can be, for me personally. i've heard a lot of great things about the benefits of open source but nothing i saw that i could specifically use.. mm exciting..

edit: which leads me to another question. the values for the start and ends of partitions, what are they exactly? i need to figure out how to specify them to a certain size. otherwise i have to create then delete a partition in windows where i can set it in MB but i really should start thinking in a straight linux way.

edit 2: the idea i had didn't work out, SuSe didn't see there was a windows install to be able to boot to. is there anything else i could try?