Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Well, I tried Redhat. It told me basically the same thing as Mandrake. I saw my hard drives and the controller in the hardware detection phase while booting into the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

other distros

Well, I tried Redhat. It told me basically the same thing as Mandrake. I saw my hard drives and the controller in the hardware detection phase while booting into the installer, but it didn't know what to do when it was looking for a place to partition. So I got out my old, mostly working, 43GGB disk, put it on the standard IDE channel, and installed Mandrake 9.1 on it. Working great so far, but I still want to access my data on the raid. What are some good driver resources fthat might help me out? I've done quite a bit of looking, but haven't found any.

Also, somewhat related; I've heard that when you mount NTFS partitions they are read-only. Why is this? Is there any way I can give it full access? My main data drive on the RAID is NTFS and I'd like to be able to add MP3s to it from linux. Once I'm more confident with linux I'll switch over to it with the exception of a Windows XP install for games, but for the next few months I need to keep linux secondary.

Thanks agian for all the help Dolda2000, I've learned a lot from you and I have a million more questions so I hope you don't go on holiday any time soon

Moebius

Linux Guru
    As for accessing your RAID drives, see what these commands return as a first step:
    Code:
    ls /proc/ide
    cat /proc/devices
    Depending on the chipset, it is sometimes necessary to recompile the kernel.

And as for writing to NTFS filesystems, well, you _can_ do that, but only if you never want to use it ever again. Write support for NTFS in Linux is still very experimental, since NTFS is a closed standard, and M$ seems to have no intentions of sharing it with the Linux community for free; everything has to be reverse-engineered. There is still hope for you at the horizon, though - they seem to be working on it to make it happen. They seem to have a fairly good knowledge of NTFS by now, since they have been able to make tools to format and resize NTFS filesystems.

Just Joined!
    Damn M$. But its just business. I'll just wait a couple weeks until I'm more comfortable in linux and survive on internet streams. well, the ls /proc/ide returned:

drivers hda

cat /proc/devices returned:
    1 mem
    2 pty/m%d
    3 pty/s%d
    4 tts/%d
    5 cua/%d
    6 lp
    7 vcs
    10 misc
    13 input
    14 sound
    29 fb
    116 alsa
    128 ptm
    136 pts/%d
    162 raw
    171 ieee1394
    180 usb

Block devices:
    1 ramdisk
    2 fd
    3 ide0
    9 md
    11 sr
    22 ide1

Those blocked devices seem fishy. Theres two blocked IDE devices in there.... I dunno.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius
    Those blocked devices seem fishy. Theres two blocked IDE devices in there.... I dunno.
    No, no, no... =)
    It says "block devices", and it means it, not "blocked devices". A block device in UNIX is a device that corresponds to physical storage in the way that they can safely be buffered and they are seekable. The other category, character devices, are devices that can be virtually anything, for example your sound card.
    In UNIX (and therefore also Linux), you have a file corresponding to each device in your system. For example, if you send data to /dev/dsp, it will be played by your sound card. Try "ps aux >/dev/dsp". It won't sound pretty, though.

Anyhow, it seems that the kernel has recognized your RAID device properly, since md is a registered block device. Try this:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/raid
    mount -t ntfs /dev/md0 /mnt/raid
    These commands have to be run as root.
    If it doesn't work, or you have more RAID devices that you want access to, check the output of this:
    Code:
    cat /proc/mdstat
    Btw., you're not using Windows' Dynamic Disks or anything, are you?

Just Joined!
    Code:
    [root@wi moebius]# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : 
    read_ahead not set
    unused devices&#58; <none>
    -and-
    Code:
    &#91;root@wi raid&#93;# mount -t ntfs /dev/md0 /mnt/raid
    mount&#58; wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
           or too many mounted file systems
           &#40;could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
           ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?&#41;
    Its very strange.

also in the mandrake control center I looked up all my detected devices and under the Uknown/Otheres catagory there is "20276" and when I click on that it displays:
    Code:
    Vendor&#58; ‎Promise Technology, Inc.
    Bus&#58; ‎PCI
    Bus identification&#58; ‎105a&#58;5275&#58;1043&#58;807e
    Location on the bus&#58; ‎0&#58;6&#58;0
    Description&#58; ‎20276
    Module&#58; ‎unknown
    Media class&#58; ‎STORAGE_RAID
    And when I do cat /proc/pci one of the devices is:
    Code:
    RAID bus controller&#58; Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20276 IDE &#40;rev 1&#41;.
          IRQ 19.
          Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
          I/O at 0xd400 &#91;0xd407&#93;.
          I/O at 0xd000 &#91;0xd003&#93;.
          I/O at 0xb800 &#91;0xb807&#93;.
          I/O at 0xb400 &#91;0xb403&#93;.
          I/O at 0xb000 &#91;0xb00f&#93;.
          Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xb5800000 &#91;0xb5803fff&#93;.
      Bus  0, device   7, function  0&#58;
    hmmmmmm. Just more ?? but We're closer i guess, it detects the hardware and knows what it is. Does this mean it already has the drivers it needs and its just not working properly?

No, I don't believe I am using dynamic disks.

Moebius

Linux Guru
    Possibly. I don't know just yet. Run "file -s /dev/md0" and see what it returns. Again, you're not using a Dynamic Disk setup, are you? I really don't know at all what happens if you have a partitioning table on a RAID device. I'm not sure that the md code can handle partition tables, though it would seem a bit strange if they couldn't.

Just Joined!

now we need to try to install the drivers

I found drivers!!! http://www.promise.com/support/downl...ry=driver&os=4

It seems the FastTrak TX2000 is the retail version of my onboard controller and these drivers, they say, work for all the FastTrack series. They're even ment for Mandrake 9.0. But I'm trying to install 9.1 And I'm having problems with the drivers

In the readme file it says:
    6.) Issue following commands to load FastTrak module, Because
    Mandrake linux not initial floppy device at startup.
    # modprobe floppy
    # mkdir /floppy
    # mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy (Extract from linux)
    or mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy (Extract from Windows)
    # cd /floppy
    # sh floppy.fix
    # cd /
    # umount /floppy

I got troubles when trying to mount:

# mount –t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy
    mounting /dev/fd0 on /floppy as type vfat, options
    calling mount(/dev/fd0, /floppy, vfat, -1058209792, check=relaxed)
    (here it paused for about 10-20 seconds while the read light on the floppy is on)
    SCALAR(0x84f83e0) at /usr/bin/perl-install/fm.pm line 738.

I then do:

# cd /flopp
    # sh floppy.fix
    sh: Can’t open floppy.fix

Whats going wrong with the mount process? Does this mean there is something wrong with the floppy disk or the kernel or what?

This is in a shell. When i get to the first graphical screen in the install where you select the language, I press Ctrl + Alt + F2 like it says in the instructions.

I'm not using any kind of dynamic disks to my knowledge.

I think I messed up my X windows somehow, but it won't boot into that. I replaced restored my backup of my XF86Config, but it didn't make any difference. I think its something with the nvidia drivers. But then agian, I think the crappy drive that I have it installed on isn't doing so well either. During the boot up process things randomly (or so it seems) fail and then the next time, they work. I even noticed "Starting RAID devices" or something like that in there and it was successful. So i figure I'll just continue to try to figure this out now and reinstall on my RAID.

Thanks for the help, maybe we'll actually solve this one.

Linux Guru
    I don't understand what this has with the floppy to do at all. Have you put the driver on a floppy disk?
    Oh, and btw., I don't think that you can use the Mdk 9.0 driver for Mdk 9.1. It's only for the exact kernel version that is in Mdk 9.0. Try donwloading the recompilable one instead. You will need to have the kernel source code installed to be able to compile it.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I should have been more complete in my last post. Yes, the drivers are extracted onto a floppy and then we are supposed to follow some steps at the beginning and end of the install to do a bunch of things, including mounting the floppy drive because they say it isn't properly mounted in the install. I dunno, but the README.txt file is in the .zip file you can download from that link if you there there might be anything more of use in there.

There is a link to the "Partial Linux Source Code" there. I haven't the first clue of what I need to do with that source. Is it just something I need to compile into my kernal? Do they just compile by themselves? If so, why would recompiling the source myself be any different than downloading what's already there. I'll need a linux box to compile them, so hopefully I'll have one up and working agian tomarrow (friday) or saturday.

If you have any more suggestions on what I should do with that source code and how i should do it, that would be cool.

And hey Dolda2000, I feel like I should return the favor for helping me learn linux so much. I could offer my web design services if you have any use for them. Let me know. My AIM is hellomynameiszac or my website is www.zacwittedesign.com and you can email me from there.

Thanks agian. I'm going to bed

Linux Guru
    I don't really understand what is up with your mount command - it almost seems like Mdk has rewritten it in Perl, but that can't be, right? Can you run the following?
    Code:
    file $&#40;which mount | tee /dev/tty&#41;
    Did you put the contents of the zip file on the disk?
    Anyhow, that doesn't really matter, since the Mdk 9.0 driver won't work for Mdk 9.1 anyway. I'm just curious.

Like I said, you will need that "Partial Linux Source Code". The reason for doing that is that since there is another kernel version for Mdk 9.1 than for Mdk 9.0, the driver needs to be recompiled to match the symbol version information for the new kernel's driver interface functions. Otherwise, you will just get a lot of "unresolved symbol" errors when you try to load the driver.
    To do that, do this:
    1. Install your kernel source code. You will find the package on your Mdk installation CDs under the name "kernel-source". It's usually somewhere around 100-150 MBs.
    2. Download the tgz file from Promise.
    3. Extract it with "tar -xvzf 1_ftsrc-b25.tgz".
    4. "cd" into the new directory.
    5. Run "make", then switch to root and run "make install".

The readme that comes with the file probably has more info. I didn't really look at it, the above is just general procedure.

Have I really helped you that much? It doesn't really feel like it. If I got offers like these from everyone I helped, I would probably have enough assistance to take over the world... =)
    Anyhow, thanks for the offer, but I'm sorry to say that I don't really have any need for it; I don't deal very much with web pages. That being said, I really liked the maturity of your site (no fancy flash demos or javascripts or anything - it even worked fairly well in Lynx). Even so, though, the pages I make are more targeted at AnyBrowser compliance, which you can see if you take a peek at my home page. I feel that it's important to be able to use Lynx to access my site from anywhere to get useful files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2