Find the answer to your Linux question:
Some of the library files are missing. What RPMs to be loaded for IPv6 system call support. I am developing a chat application which can communicate with IPv4 and IPv6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rpm for IPv6 support in linux

Some of the library files are missing.
    What RPMs to be loaded for IPv6 system call support.
    I am developing a chat application which can communicate with IPv4 and IPv6 hosts.

Linux Guru
    IPv6 is still experimental in linux. That probably means that it works, but isn't tested well enough to be official. You should recompile your kernel to use it. The tools will probably be available from kernel.org.

Just Joined!

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for ur immidiate response for my query. Can u explain me in detail what to do for support IPv6 API's like getipnodebyaddr(), gethostbyaddr()...

Thanks in advance...

Regards
    Ramesh

Linux Guru
    Those functions are really part of libc, not linux. I don't know if they're compiled into libc by default, but I could check it out for you if you want. The first thing you must do is recompile your kernel to include the IPv6 protocol family, and then you'll probably need the IPv6 tools from kernel.org to configure your network interfaces. Probably they'll need IPv6 support in libc, too, and if so you'll have to fix libc first. Like I mentioned, I don't know whether libc and IPv6 support built in by default, but I really can't see any such header files on my system, at least.

Linux User
    you may not have to recompile depending on how new your kernel is - some of them come stock with it already compiled in - redhat 8.0 does, i believe 7.3 did etc...
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    Are you sure? It is experimental, after all. Also, I run RH8 and I can't find any related header files. It would be strange if they shipped a kernel that supports without the libraries to use it.

Linux User
    unless im hallucinating im pretty sure there are some messages about ipv6 during bootkup, sayint its disabled i believe?

and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ has some ifup/ifdown ipv6 stuff
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    You're right, grep ipv6 * in network-scripts gets 415 matches. I wouldn't know about the kernel, since I recompiled mine without ipv6 support. But what's the names of the headers then? It would seem excessively stupid to ship a supporting kernel without a supporting glibc.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I get it! The IPv6 header info is simply incorporated into the old headers. I would have thought that there were new header files for IPv6.