Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, this is a very old laptop and I wanted to put something on that would not take so much resources up. So I tried to do a install with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Install troubles on a Toshiba T4900CT

Ok, this is a very old laptop and I wanted to put something on that would not take so much resources up. So I tried to do a install with mandrake 9.0. I made the boot disk with the following and got the below errors...

cdrom.img: to install from a local IDE or SCSI CD-ROM drive. This has to be used in cases where you cannot boot your computer directly from the CD-ROM, by changing BIOS settings.
    the cdrom is a external connecting to SCSI, and when I try to boot using the linux floppy is cant access the cdrom but I can load a driver, but the issue is it ask for a parameters to give to the kernal...

WTF? Where do I find these?

network.img: to install from a NFS, FTP, HTTP repository, your local LAN or via a PPPoE (DSL lines) network connection. The network configuration of the machine to be installed may be manual or automatic.

pcmcia.img: if the installation media is reached through a PCMCIA card (network, CD-ROM, etc.).
    Not enough RAM error.

So my question is the laptop wont boot fromt he cdrom, well at least I can't find a manul on the net that will show me how to get into the bios to find out if it iwll boot. But anyways how can I do a install of linux?

I even put the cdrom in and clicked "Install Linux" and it says the pc will reboot and start install, but it wont reboot when I click "OK".

Linux Guru
    What kind of SCSI bus is the CD-ROM connected to? Is it built in to the laptop, is it through PCMCIA, or is it some kind of parport link? Have you found a suitable driver for it?

Just Joined!
    It's connected through Parallel Port.

Laptop is running 98se fine and cdrom works. But I don't understand how to get linux to see it's there. First time doing a install.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I wouldn't bet that there comes any parport CD-ROM drivers with the Mdk boot disks. What drivers do you have there?

Just Joined!
    You mean what img did I load on the disk? Or what is listed on the disk after it tells me there is no cdrom detected?

Because as above it ask me for parameters to give to the kernal, I just don't know how to find that.

Anyways a friend told me i586 wouldn't run on this laptop, told me to grab i386 redhat and throw blackbox on it. Im downloading it now. See if that works.

Linux Guru
    Oh, had you downloaded an i586 image? Those only work on Pentium and higher.

Just Joined!
    Yah didnt know that. Im going to try the i386 in the morning. Ill be back for sure, I feel it in the air.