Find the answer to your Linux question:
I added another OS to my system. When I did that, my SuSE 9.2 was changed from hda7 to hda8. I was prepared for this(I thought). I printed out Nerderello's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GRUB help again

I added another OS to my system. When I did that, my SuSE 9.2 was changed from hda7 to hda8. I was prepared for this(I thought). I printed out Nerderello's GRUB tutorial. I followed it. And when I typed "find /boot/grub/stage1", this was returned (hd0,4) that is Sourcemage, (hd0.5) that is my new OS Lunar Linux, and (hd0,7) where SUSE is now.

Before i installed Lunar they looked like this (hd0.4) Sourcemage, (hd0,6) SUSE.
    Windows is on (hd0,0).

So, I typed "root (hd0,7)
    Then I typed "kernel (hd0,7)/ and hit the <TAB> key to get the completion command. But, all that gets returned is bin dev etc lib mnt opt srv tmp sys var usr boot home proc sbin root media success .reiserfs_priv windows. I tried boot home sbin root and .reiserfs_priv. All of them returned errors.
    I even tried typing "vmlinuz 2.6.8.24", but that returned error 15(file not found)

Not done yet, I put in my Knoppix live cd. Hoping that i could edit the .boot/grub/menu.lst from Knoppix. But, it is a read-only file. And I am told to add a "!" to override. But, I have no idea where to put this "! ".

Thanks for any help you can give.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Knoppix mounts all your drives read-only, if I remember correctly (keeps you from borking too much). I think you can just right-click on the drive's icon on the desktop and select an option to make the drive writable...then you can change whatever you want.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks Flatline, I will try that

Well, I was able to edit the file and save it the way I wanted to.

But, when i reboot, all I get is a grub>
    That was frustrating
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Hmm, this won't help you a lot at the moment, but one thing I like to do is make a 32MB /boot partition that is shared between various linux flavors. Then you can install grub once and you never need to mess with anything except for /boot/grub/grub.conf ... if you try out a lot of distros like I have recently, you just delete the old kernels in between the installs and go again.
    noobus in perpetuum

I might try that yet. Yeah I know it will entail wiping my hdd. But it just seems like a lot of work. I have a Windows XP Pro partition, SUSE 9.2, and Sourcemage 0.9.3. Attempting to add Lunar Linux 1.4.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

If you try it, just put /boot where it won't be in your way. I used /dev/hdb1 and then made my swap /dev/hdb2 -- so I share my swap partition between distros as well. I've also shared /home and /var/www/localhost/htdocs partitions, but I decided I wanted some redundancy and now I just sync them up.
    noobus in perpetuum