Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi everyone ,im new to linux i was getting ready to install mepis so i opened qt parted and went to make my first partition EXT3 for primary root and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help qt parted

hi everyone ,im new to linux i was getting ready to install mepis so i opened qt parted and went to make my first partition EXT3 for primary root and i made it to big at 12GB AND ALREADY COMITED IT now theres no option to undo i only wanted to make it 6GB,and when i go back into windows it doesnt see that 12GB of the hard drive any more.is there any way to recover that 12GB and start again ...thanks ,oh and that part of the hard drive has no nodata on it .

Windows can't see ext3 formated filesystems, if you want windows and linux to read it make it FAT32, but install linux on an ext3 (or ext2, or reiser) filesystem, so next time make a 6GB ext3 partition and a 6GB FAT32 partition for you to share files between Linux and Windows.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

qt parted

hi Dylunio,is there a way to undo what i did and start over thanks

There is no way to 'undo' what you have done, but you can make the partition smaller using QTParted, right click on the partitionm -> resize and you can make it smaller, back to 6GB.

If you want Windows to see the whole 12GB part of the hard drive format that partition as FAT32. And then you can restart.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

qt parted

hi Dylunio,thanks ill try that

Just Joined!

qt parted

hi Dylunio,ok i went back and tried to just resize that option is greyed out,now before i delete it and format to fat 32 and reboot,2 questions is it to be EXTENDED partition FAT 32 rather than PRIMARY ? and after i do that and reboot will i be able to then partition this FAT 32 PART into ext3 ROOT at 6GB,/linux swap 600MB ,/HOME 4GB, THANKS i just dont want to F*** UP again

Make it a primery partition, and once you have formatted it FAT32, and rebooted you will have to make it smaller, and in the 'gap' you make the ext3 partition, and the SWAP partition.

I hope this helps

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

qt parted

thanks Dylunio,one more thing is the "HOME" esential ?and a primary extention ext3 root is not resizeable,but a primary fat 32 is?could you give me an example of of say a average set up. thanks for all your help

No there is no need for a /home partition, if you can't resize, try and delete the partition, and then in the 'gap' do what you want with your space, I'm not sure how much space you have, if you have the 6GB only I'd give 5.5GB to / (root) and 512MB to SWAP. If you have the whole 12GB I'd use 11Gb for / (root) and 1GB for SWAP

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

qt parted

thanks again Dylunio , as long as i can partition the primary fat 32 i should be ok,after i change that to fat 32 how would that show up in windows,its my D DRIVE IT USED TO BE 15GB ,then it only showed up as 3GB, will it show as 15GB again ,thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast