Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recentlly installed a dual boot of mandreake and xp. When I boot to mandrake I recieve the following error "fsck.ext3: bad magic number in the supper-block while trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake 9.1 install/boot trouble

I have recentlly installed a dual boot of mandreake and xp. When I boot to mandrake I recieve the following error "fsck.ext3: bad magic number in the supper-block while trying to open /dev/hda9......failed to check file system do U want to repair may cause lose of data" I said yes and I am told there is another error and that I should run something thing to open something else. I am new so I know nothing and I would be grateful for any help thx

*EDIT*Tidy Tidy now

Im going to try to reinstall mandrake and see if that fixes the problem

I had something along these lines a long time ago. I had tried to enlarge the partion, without re-installing Linux or even telling it. It sort of coped, but in the end I re-formated the partion and re-installed Linux.

Sorry if this doesn't help

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    I reinstalled the problem seems to be when ever I boot into linux then windows and then try linux again that the problem aquires and I can seem to figure out how to solve this I am new so everthing about mandreake and linux means nothing to me please help thx

let me see if I understand what is happening :-
    - you have a dual boot Windows (98, 2000, XP?) and Linux (Mandrake)
    - you are using a boot manager (Lilo , Grub, other?)
    - you can boot okay if you traight to Linux after powering up
    - you can boot okay to Windows
    - you have problems booting to Linux after Windows

Some questions:-
    1. What have you got in your /etc/fstab file (use your favourite editor to open this while in Linux) ?
    2. Are you mounting (for use) any of your Windows hard disk(s) and or partions in Linux?
    3. What does the Linux command 'df -h' give you?
    4. Are you cleanly closing down both Windows and Linux when you boot?

That's about all I can think of for now.

have fun

Nerderello

Just Joined!
    I can not log back into lunix, I thought I had signedout saved settings and restarted computer. This is all after the install I have only been able to boot into linux once after install I have the above error messege now hwen ever I attempt to boot to liinux

Integer,
    most curious. Can I confirm that you are using the ninth partion on your first (probably only) hard disk (that's what /dev/hda9 means) for your Linux installation. Also, you mention in your first post that you get an error AFTER the fsck fixing, do you still get it and what is it, please ?

Sorry I haven't been able to help you much so far.

Nerderello