Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I have recentlly installed a dual boot of mandreake and xp. When I boot to mandrake I recieve the following error "fsck.ext3: bad magic number in the supper-block while trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake install problems

I have recentlly installed a dual boot of mandreake and xp. When I boot to mandrake I recieve the following error "fsck.ext3: bad magic number in the supper-block while trying to open /dev/hda9......failed to check file system do U want to repair may cause lose of data" I said yes and I am told there is another error and that I should run something thing to open something else. I am new so I know nothing and I would be grateful for any help thx

Linux Guru
    It seems that it tries to mount the wrong partition on the root directory. What's your partitioning setup?

Just Joined!
    I have XP as my C drive then the Mandrake and all its stuff like swap and what not " this process was done for me by the automatic config offered in the istall," next I have to more partitions for stroge of my windows docs. should I do a reinstall in the same partition that I installed to I dont know why the system will not load the desktop.

Linux Guru
    Can you check with Windows' disk manager or whatever it's called how your hard drive is partitioned? Do you have multiple hard drives?

Just Joined!
    no I do not have multiple hard drives.

Local Disk C: NTFS windows XP

Local Disk Linux EXT3
    Swapspace2 Linux swap
    Local Disk Linux EXT3

Local Disk D NTFS windows storage
    Local Disk E NTFS windows storage

I tried to submit a pic but it didn't work so this is all I have

Linux Guru
    Strange... in that case, hda9 is just right out. In that case, one might wonder why ever the Mdk installation program would configure that.
    Anyhow, what is the actual partition layout? Which if these are primary partitions, and in what order are the logical ones arranged?

Just Joined!
    Local Disk C: NTFS windows XP active Primary [*] extended none Primary

Local Disk Linux EXT3 none Logical
    Swapspace2 Linux swap none Logical
    Local Disk Linux EXT3 none Logical

Local Disk D NTFS windows storage none Logical
    Local Disk E NTFS windows storage none Logical

Linux Guru
    Is that the exact order of the logical partitions? Oh, and I forgot to ask you in the last post: what boot loader do you use?

Just Joined!
    YES, That is the exact order of the logical pratitions the boot loader is I dont know I would have to reboot to find out it is working just fine though. If U would like I can reboot to see if I can find out .

thx for your help

Linux Guru
    Yes please, do reboot. I can't give you boot loader specific instructions without knowing which one you're using. LILO can look a bit different from time to time, but GRUB will always have a text explaining that you can press eg. c for the GRUB command line, e to edit boot commands for specific menu choices, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast