Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: DO you think a ISP should provide support for Linux?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Ok, now I know there has got to be someone out there who has Bellsouth ADSL and a Speedtouch USB modem and has gotten it to work. I have tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Bell South ADSL] Speed Touch USB DSL Modem!

Ok, now I know there has got to be someone out there who
    has Bellsouth ADSL and a Speedtouch USB modem and has gotten
    it to work. I have tried everything, I installed the drivers using
    what was suggested, follow everything step by step, but I cannot
    Get this Stupid DSL to work on my Linux Box. Can someone
    please help me!!!

Linux Guru
    First, what driver are you using? Second, do you get any kernel messages when plug the modem in? Check /var/log/messages.

Linux User
    I set up my friends Speedtouch USB for ADSL under llinux - his computer is off right now for break so I cant get you a copy of the script i wrote, but next time i go over (i have his key to keep an eye on things) I will get a copy of it.

Now this script was a bastardization of one i found on the net that didn't work so well, is seems to me that bellsouth in the daytona area uses a slightly different setup. The original script loads the drivers, and tries to connect to bellsouth - i had to modify it to load the driver, and wait for an error message from bellsouth saying that the line was synced but no login was supplied, then login, then tell it to reload the driver (to sync to bellsouth) or something goofy like that. I make no promises it will work for you, but it worked on his fine.

What kernel are you using? you will need something pretty moderm - at least the 2.4 kernel to use this script, if you are not in the 2.4 series there are a bunch of pathces you need to apply, but if you are not in the 2.4 make your life easier and go there.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    Yes I have the latest 2.4
    Thank you guys soo much for the swift replies
    and if you can get me thoses scripts it would be
    great!

Linux User
    ok, here is the badly chopped version of what i got off the web, the comments are left mostly intact, you can try following the original one, as it is much more elegant then the 30 minute hack i did to get it working

http://majorwoo.dynup.net:1024/adsl/

I end up calling this script every time on bootup, now there are some things you can do to speed it up - i just havent had the time to play with it yet, and i wanted to get you up and going - once i get time to make it better I will - hopefully the original works for you - as i said, its alot cleaner.

<-- oh here, i found the original script that came with it deal, try the speedtouchconf.sh first, and if you get very strange errors, try running joshs_adsl.sh every time you boot

(ive also included the drivers needed - you need the .sh and the tar.gz in the same folder to setup
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.