Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ok here goes the install (I'm writing this while installing): 1. Boot from the cd, and then press enter at the Boot screen 2. Select a language (I'll be picking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ok here goes the install (I'm writing this while installing):

1. Boot from the cd, and then press enter at the Boot screen

2. Select a language (I'll be picking Welsh, but pick whatever one you want)

3. select your keybord layout

Now a bunch of things will load from the cd

4. If you have any network cards, select your primery one

5. Now pick a hostname for the compter, I'll choose the default ubuntu

6. Now it will ask you about your disk, the first option is to use the whole of the hard drive, and the second option is to edit the partition table by hand, select the second option

7. You will now be given an over view of your partition setup this will give a list of all linux foramted partitions available, go down the page, and select and enter the partition you want to install on, in my case /dev/hda5

8. Now you will be in a page with the partition settings for that partition. the first option in the list will be something like (maybe a bad transtaltion) 'Way of usage' select that.

9. In the page that comes up select to format the partition

10. You will now be taken back to the previouse page, but now with an extra option 'File system', select this

11. Now select a prefered filesystem, I will be using reiserfs, select the filesystem of your choice

12. You will now go back again to the previouse screen, it will yet again have another option, 'Mount Point' select this

13. In the new page select the Mount point as /

14. yet again it will take you back to the page regarding that partition, select and enter the 'Ffinnished prepairing partition' option, it will go back to the origianal overview of your partitions.

15. Now select a partition you want to use as SWAP partition, select it, and a new page will apear regariding that partition, and in this page select 'Way of usage', and select it to be SWAP area, and select to format the SWAP area, then select 'finished prepairing partition'

16. You will now be back at the overview of your partitions, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Finish partitions, and write the changes to disk'

17. Select 'Yes' in the next box if you are happy with this partition settup

It will now formatt the partitions on the hard drive you want it to, and will install the basic system. This can take some time

18. Now you will have to settup the bootloader, type here (hd0) (NOTE: I am skipping this bit myself since I already have a suSE butloader settup with multible distros)

19. After setting up the Bootloader, it will say the first stage of the install is complete, and the cd should eject (take it out), and then continue

18. the system will re-boot, and should have the GrUB bootloader installed, select Ubuntu, and it will take you through the rest of the install

I hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Ok, so I have definitely made progress. Thanks alot for the tutorial, it has definitely helped. Not sure what I was doing wrong before, but I am not able to access the partitions. So I followed the steps, and still got the red screen saying No Root File System. Beside the two partitions that I have accessed is a face of what kinda looks like a skull, with two little pegs coming out his head and bottom. Not sure what those mean.
    Also where I select mount point, it showed up as /dos, and not just /. So i'm not sure if that has anything to do with the damn warnings.
    As well as after I click my swap partition to be Swap Area, there is no option to Format? Maybe I didn't see it or something. But thanks again for the assistance.

Banned
    Could post your entire partition table?

Just Joined!
    I might be out of order here, and am sorry if i'm stepping on any toes, but reading the previous posts it would seem that the problem lies in trying to install Ubuntu (very pretty) onto a fat32 formatted partition.

As far as i know, ( sorry am not a guru) the choices are usually;

linux native, ext2, ext3, or reiserfs. Either of the last 2 would be best for improved data security.

I've never heard of linux on fat or ntfs, apart from the live-cd versions of variously;
    dynbolic, puppylinux, Gnoppix, Knoppix? among others, which create a virtual file system on a single file on a windows machine to save configurations and data.

I hope this helps.

Duncan

Just Joined!
    Hey thanks for the tips regarding Fat and NTFS. I will convert the partition tomorrow morning when I get home, and let you all know what happens. Hopefully it will be good news.

Just Joined!
    My pleasure. Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2