Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all. Alright here are the issues thus far. I have partitioned my hard drive, finally. I went ahead to instal Ubuntu, got as far as the partitioning screen, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu instal chaos....

Hey all. Alright here are the issues thus far. I have partitioned my hard drive, finally. I went ahead to instal Ubuntu, got as far as the partitioning screen, and from there every option i click on it says that there is nothing there. I have no Root directory. I have no volume something. I am not allowed to choose the new partitioned hard drive to be the one for instal, anywhere. I have tried other partitions, but I just keep getting the same messages over and over and over again. I have tried the new partition under NTFS, as well as FAT32, and no difference. Hopefully this is just some little thing I have overlooked, and can move forward rather quickly. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Just Joined!
    One more thing. Sorry about the bad description. I have been frustrated far too long with this thing, and didn't bother to write any of the messages down. Hopefully somebody can help though.

Hmm I installed Ubuntu with out any problems on Sunday, when you say it will not let you select your ready made partitions, what errors do you get? I had to use the arrow keys and the space bar to select the drives I wanted
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Here is one of the messages I get when I choose the partitioned drive.

Partition Disks screen
    I choose my partition: Logical 5.2 GB FAT32
    Click Finish Partitioning and write changes to disk
    Partition disk? I click Yes
    Then screen goes red, and it says No Root file system foun
    No Root file system is defined.

Not sure what any of that means. I'm not sure if I messed up a step getting to this point or what has happened.

IIRC, you have to specify the root partition at this stage, look at all the options, and make sure you have selected that drive to be / (root), since I think there is an option to choose this here.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Where exactly do I specify that drive to be root? From the beginning of the instal, it asks about networking first, then languages, and then it goes straight into the partitioning screen that I have come to hate.

IIRC it is the bit were you setup your partitions, when you select the filsystem etc I think there is an option to mount it as root, if you still have problems, I will give ubuntu another install soon on a different partition, and I'll tell you how I did it.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Ok, I cannot seem to locate any option in the instal process where it lets you define anything as Root. I may have screwed up somewhere, not sure. But I can't find it on my end at all. Thanks for the help so far, it has been greatly aprecciated.

OK, I'll be installing it tomorow, and I'll make a small tutorial on how to install for you
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will look forward to finally solving this thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast