Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Everybody.. I have got WIN XP HOME SP2 on a 4-partitioned 40GB harddisk..How do I install SuSE Linux 9.1 on my computer? Moreover, will my computer ask me which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

How to install SuSE Linux 9.1 from CD?

Hello Everybody.. I have got WIN XP HOME SP2 on a 4-partitioned 40GB harddisk..How do I install SuSE Linux 9.1 on my computer? Moreover, will my computer ask me which O.S. to open whiele booting.. I am a complete newbie to LINUX.. Plz help...

Just Joined!

I forgot to add..

Oh! yes, I forgot to add that I have SuSE 9.1 on a CD.. Plz help me install it...
    >> Siddhartha

Just Joined!
    Well //siddhartha// you will be disappointed to know that I don't use SuSE at all (no reason, I'm just happy at the moment with my present distos). But I can help you get started.

You can install SuSE from the CD on the same PC alongside Windows XP but in a different partition. When you try to install SuSE (it uses an installer called YAST) you will be given the opportunity to repartition your hard drive. You obviously know how to deal with partitions so that should not worry you one bit.

The installation will need at least about 500 mb but you will probably want to use something like 2Gb. The install might take between 30 to 45 minutes.

After installing SuSE when booting you will be offered the choice of Windows or SuSE.

Good luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    To add to what sealfood said, to start the install put the cd in the cd drive, and then re-boot the computer, if the installer soesn't start, reboot again and go into the BIOS with a key such as Del, Esc, F1, F2, F12 at bootup, and change your boot sequence so that the cd rom drive boots first.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the additional info Dylunio.

Just Joined!

But my SuSE refused to install !

I will give you a view of what O.S.es are present on my PC. Actually, my frnd installed a pirated WIN XP Pro on my computer with 4 partitions on C:. When I became aware that it was a pirated copy, I bought my WIN XP HOME Original and installed it on my comp..
    I tried to format my hard drive but due to some problems was unsuccessful in doing that.. Hence, I installed WIN XP HOME on D:. After that I booted into my WIN XP HOME and opened the boot.ini file.. I configured it not to ask about WIN XP PRO during booting and then deleted the PROGRAM FILES and WINDOWS folders from C: thus eliminating IN XP PRO pirated from my PC.
    Now, when I started my PC with the SuSE linux CD in my CD drive and set the BIOS sequence to CD drive first.. The SuSE installation started smoothly but when I clicked to partitioning C: the YAST gave me the information that the C: could not be reformatted.. Now, plz tell me how can I install SuSE on a diff drive (preferably, E
    Plz help...

//siddhartha//, during the install there will be a page with the basic settup info for the install, its the page before it installs.

here go to the change button at the bottom of the page and click it and choose partitions, here modify the partitions so that your / (root) linux partition isn't on C which most likly will be /dev/hda1 (you should be able to work out by the sizes). Also make sure the SWAP partition isn't on any partitions you want to stay as they are.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

THANX A LOT, folks

You guys, sealfood and dylunio have been immensely helpful to me.. I will try the instalation today.. THANX a lot for the info.
    >> Siddhartha

Just Joined!

HELP with partitioning for SuSE

Hey, Guys, I tried to work as you said but I am confused and don't know what to do. Actually, I am unaware of working with partitions.
    So, when I clicked on 'Partitioning' and was taken to the 'Partitioning' area, I was given three options which were something like this:
    --------------------------------------------
    a) Accept proposal as is
    b) Use proposal as base for partitioning
    c) Create custom partitioning
    Now, I used (b) and (c) options and was then given two options:
    i) Select an hard disk ( my hard disk label was given in brackets)
    ii) Custom Partitioning for Experts.
    ---------------------------------------------
    When I went for the (i) option, I was asked either to ''delete Windows completely'' or ''shrink windows partitioning''. I used the second option but the YAST was unable to shrink the partitioning saying I need to defragment my disk.. I don't know if defragmenting will work, so I went ''BACK'' and selected ''CUSTOM PARTITIONING FOR EXPERTS'' and was presented with a table showing my drives and various options at the bottom...
    Now, I don't know how to work with partitioning so I aborted the installation.. Plz help me to configure me to install LINUX on my WINDOWS E: ( E drive) What should I do in the table that opens in CUSTOM PARTITIONING FOR EXPERTS ? ?
    Help me out...

Linux Engineer
    First of all, what's on your 4 partitions?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast