Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I left the CAT6 cable unplugged this time around, still its still stalling on eth1. Well im out of ideas.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    r5a
    Just Joined!

I left the CAT6 cable unplugged this time around, still its still stalling on eth1. Well im out of ideas....

Linux Guru
    hit "CTRL-C" when it stalls, that may allow you to continue booting.

If you get the machine started, try specifing a static IP address.

Jason

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    hit "CTRL-C" when it stalls, that may allow you to continue booting.

If you get the machine started, try specifing a static IP address.

Jason
    CTRL C Didnt work..
    [EDIT]
    Ok, I know that it hates my internal NIC (eth1), but it likes my eth0 (non intergared NIC) becasue when I unplug the CAT6 cable it says
    Brining up interface for eth0.... Determining IP information for eth0... failed.. check make sure cable is plugged in
    If i plug the CAT6 cable in i get this
    Brining up interface for eth0.... Determining IP information for eth0... failed..
    So we now know that it can id the eth0 and know if its a loose cable and whatnot, do you think it could be the router casuign this?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    how about removing the network card, trying it in a different socket on the motherboard, or replacing it altogether?

Also you could try removing any devices which are not essential to the machine being able to boot, USB scanners, cameras, etc.

Jason

r5a
    Just Joined!
    how about removing the network card, trying it in a different socket on the motherboard, or replacing it altogether?

Also you could try removing any devices which are not essential to the machine being able to boot, USB scanners, cameras, etc.

Jason
    Thats what im saying, the very first time i used the intergrated nic, after about 5 times of it not working, I took an NIC off my old linux server (bear in mind the NIC worked great on linux) and put it in, I dont have any devices usb camers ect, just the mobo stuff (keybord, mouse, printer, monitor, 2x usb and a intergared NIC) the only thing in the first pci slot is the RAID card, and then below it is the NIC card.

Linux Guru
    Actually go into the BIOS of your PC and DISABLE the OnBoard LAN, save the changes and then try booting the machine.

IE: you will attempt to boot, with only 1 LAN device enabled, this device is the one you brought across from your other machine.

Jason

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Actually go into the BIOS of your PC and DISABLE the OnBoard LAN, save the changes and then try booting the machine.

IE: you will attempt to boot, with only 1 LAN device enabled, this device is the one you brought across from your other machine.

Jason
    Iv tried that but i dont see anything in the BIOS to disable it, I'll go look again..

The only thing that I see is
    "Intergrated Perpgeral Config"
    in that I see

Com 1
    Base I/Q
    Intturped
    Com 2
    Base I/Q
    Intturped

Parrel Port
    Mode
    Base I/Q
    Intturpt
    DMA Channel
    I would suspect that as soon as you put a NIC in a PCI slot the NIC intergraed would be disabled?

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by r5a
    I would suspect that as soon as you put a NIC in a PCI slot the NIC intergraed would be disabled?
    Not necessarily. You could be endingup with some irq problems. Some mobos require onboard devices to be disabled via jumpers. Check you manual (or look online) to see if that's the case.
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well
    a) I don't have the manual for the server,
    b) I have no idea what brand server this is, I don't see any brand stickers anywhere and the server looks custom made, The mobo I don't know exaclty is

[EDIT]
    Well I think the mobo is intel (there is an intel sticker on it) all i can tell you about the mobo is that it has 6 pci slots, 4 slots for sdram, a Intel® PRO/10/100 nic card intergraed dual processer capable, designed for P2s, and it has a PheonixBios.

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well I got in using the interactive startup, and I stopped network from loading, now if i enable one of the nics it will lock up, Well as soon as i press activate eth0 in the network managier I cannot move my mouse at all umm, Numlock dosnt work, Caps Lock dosnt work, it just stays there, The CAPS Lock and Scroll lock do not blink.

Also when I press network manager i get this
    eth0 has an alais to module tulip in modules.conf, insted of currently loaded module eepro100!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast