Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey guys, Im having a problem with my Redhat 8, I just finished installing it and I rebooted with my cdout, it goes through my normal routine, spin up the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    r5a
    Just Joined!

Redhat 8, after install not booting up

Hey guys,
    Im having a problem with my Redhat 8, I just finished installing it and I rebooted with my cdout, it goes through my normal routine, spin up the drives, mem check, then the groub boot loder, then im guessing finding the irq or assinging them to the raid drives, anyways it gets past that, takes some time though, it starts to start the servies with all OK untill it gets to "Brining up interface for eth0" and just stays their, I have left it on that for more then 3 hours. The NIC card is intergrated on the mobo (worked fine in windows) so i don't think it died, I also slapped in a NIC card from my old linux server, still didnt work, anyone shed some light?

Thanks
    r5a

flw
    Linux Engineer
    If you created a linux boot disk as is a option during install of 8.0, have you used it and are the results different from booting off the hard drives?

Also has it ever come up correctly? Even once?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Hey,
    No I didnt create a bootdisk when I was installing redhat, I didn't think I would need one, has it ever come up correctly? You mean the brining up interface, nope not once, it just says bringing u interface for eth0: _ <-- flashing..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    Depending on the time you have available then, since it never worked and seems like you have no time invested in a working setup, reinstall it and make a boot disk for troubleshooting.

On the nic issue if you have a spare NIC that is not being used, you may want to put it into the case during setup incase RH 9 just won't work with your onboard NIC since you think it could be a issue.

Just some ideas,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Im just making a boot disk right now with this:
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...EPS-MAKE-DISKS
    I'll let you know if it works.

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well it worked (boot Disk), it was either reinstall or linux rescue, i went resoue, im just playing around in it now, it mounted my filesystem somewhere and now im rebooting.

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well damnit, I guess im reinstalling with the NIC card from the old linux server, let you know how it goes.

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Woot a little increase in progress...

Brining up interface eth0
    Determining IP information for eth0... failed
    (took about 30 seonds for this to happen)
    Brining Up interface eth1

I guess eth0 = intergrated NIC
    eht1 = non intergrated NIC ---- the one thats accutly using the lan cable.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So except for the NIC your install is successful? If so did it work with the other NIC?
    Dan

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well, the install worked like a charm, I installed it with both NICs (intergrated and non intergrated) and now I get what I before your post.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast