Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey guys, Im having a problem with my Redhat 8, I just finished installing it and I rebooted with my cdout, it goes through my normal routine, spin up the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    r5a
    Just Joined!

Redhat 8, after install not booting up

Hey guys,
    Im having a problem with my Redhat 8, I just finished installing it and I rebooted with my cdout, it goes through my normal routine, spin up the drives, mem check, then the grub boot loder, then im guessing finding the irq or assinging them to the raid drives (this takes time alot of it), anyways it gets past that, takes some time though, it starts to start the services with all OK untill it gets to "Brining up interface for eth0" and just stays their, I have left it on that for more then 3 hours. The NIC card is intergrated on the mobo (worked fine in windows) so i don't think it died, I also slapped in a NIC card from my old linux server, still didnt work. So
    I reinstalled with both nics in, this time, eth0 is my non-intergrated NIC and eth1 is the intergrated nic, eth0 works like it says this if i have the Cat6 cable plugged in
    Brining up interface eth0
    Determining IP information for eth0... failed
    (took about 30 seonds for this to happen)
    Brining Up interface eth1
    and this if i dont have it plugged in
    Brining up interface for eth0.... Determining IP information for eth0... failed.. check make sure cable is plugged in
    So it passes eth0 with those erors depnding if i have the cat6 calbe plugged into the intergrated or non, then it goes to eth1 and hangs there. I have tried using CTRL c and that didnt work, If i use redhats bookdisk it just brings me to anadconda installer again.. Also the NON Intergraed nic was on my old linux server that worked fine.. Please someone help

Thanks
    r5a

Linux Guru
    What NIC chipset is used for eth1?

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Its intergraied in the mobo the NIC card is an Intel® PRO/10/100 card

Linux Guru
    Strange; Intel cards are usually well supported, as far as I know.
    Anyhow, first priority is to make your system bootable at all, then after that we can take care of that problem.
    While the system does the sysinit stuff (ie. before it enters runlevel 3 or 5), type an i to make it enter interactive mode at the runlevel switch. Then don't start networking. Once you have a usable system, edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 and set the ONBOOT variable to "no".

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Ok weird, I pressed I and it still did the servies load, I'll try again...
    [EDIT]
    Yes! It worked, Im jsut selecting what serveis to start..
    YES, oh what a familer sighting welcome to localhost.localdomain
    omg i think a tear came down heheh, edited the file and awaing further instruction.
    [/edit]

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Ok as soon as I tried to enable eth0 it locked up bad forcing me to restart *sigh*, and it said it coundn't activate eth1. Any ideas?

Linux Enthusiast
    is it detected by your system as a supported piece of hardware?

ie - check the internet configuration wizard (called that in rh 9, not sure about

btw, noticed from your from Toronto, I am about 20 mins away from there, cheers!

Linux Guru
    Lock up your system again and examine just how locked up it is. If you type something, does it appear on the screen? Do the Caps and Scroll Lock LEDs blink?

r5a
    Just Joined!
    Well as soon as i press activate eth0 in the network managier I cannot move my mouse at all umm, Numlock dosnt work, Caps Lock dosnt work, it just stays there, The CAPS Lock and Scroll lock do not blink.

Also when I press network manager i get this
    eth0 has an alais to module tulip in modules.conf, insted of currently loaded module eepro100!

Cool yowww, I'll check that too, your in mississigua(sp) or some other place?

Linux Guru
    Is the extra NIC ISA or PCI?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast