Find the answer to your Linux question:
A couple weeks ago, I installed RH7.3 (from CD) on an old Gateway P2 PC. It installed successfully and I used it for a few days but had some problems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Extra Partition Issue...

A couple weeks ago, I installed RH7.3 (from CD) on an old Gateway P2 PC. It installed successfully and I used it for a few days but had some problems getting some devices added to it, so I installed SUSE 9.2 via FTP, attempting to just do a clean, new install.

Now I didn't do anything to my working RH install or the hard drives. I probably should have just reformatted and removed all the partitions and started clean.

Anyways, what it looks like happened, was the SUSE formatted and repartitioned both drives, but I noticed that I still have at least one partition with files leftover from my RH install.

Now, I don't get any option to boot to RH from SUSE (and I don't need to anyways). So, how do I tell what is left from RH? Also, can I remove those files and reclaim that space?

Let me know what additional details you may need to help me out. I don't really NEED to get that space back, but if I can get rid of stuff I don't need, I would feel more comfortable.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

If you open YaST and go into the System section, there is a Partitioner tool. You can do anything you want (set mount points, delete/create partitions, format partitions, etc.) from there. YaST is sweet
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Yeah, I am starting to see how sweet YaST is.

So, I am assuming if I do have some "extra" paritions that RH created and used, but that SUSE didn't touch, I could just delete them without an issue, right?

Thanks!
    Dan

Sure. I would mount them first and peek around, just to be sure you're not losing anything important, but if you were gonna wipe them anyway I don't see it being an issue.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Ok, I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Well, I got that done successfully. Looked like there were 3 partitions on hda. RH normally has a root partition, or maybe it is called boot, then one swap and then a third where all the data is at. So, I looked around, and everything was from the RH install.

So, using Partitioner (awesome tool), I deleted all 3 of them and then created a single primary partition. Seems that SUSE just used hdb to do a complete install and left hda alone.

Very cool, and again, thanks!

Dan