Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I am getting a new computer soon. So I have to buy hardware compatible with RH linux 8 or 9. For the cpu,its AMD 2600+ while the mainboard is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hardware compatibility questions

Hi!
    I am getting a new computer soon. So I have to buy hardware compatible with RH linux 8 or 9.

For the cpu,its AMD 2600+ while the mainboard is Abit NF7-S nforce2/ddr400,ata133,sound,LAN.
    Is the sound and LAN drivers compatible with linux for this motherboard?

As for the graphics card, it's Abit GF4 Ti4200 128mb with nvidia chip set. Is this graphics card compatible with the x windows of linux?

Please reply quickly if you can.....thanks!

Linux Guru
    There has been a lot of trouble with nForce. If you can, I'd recommend you to stay away from it.
    Any nVidia graphics card is compatible, though, as long as you download nVidia's Linux drivers from the drivers site.

Linux Engineer
    while we're on the subject, im getting a new comp in a few days as well. Same thing, will it run linux properly. (mandrake 9.0) but tell me if u had problems with redhat etc.

xp2000+
    512DDR 2700
    120GB Barcuda V seagate HDD
    BTC 52/24/52 CDRW
    BTC 16/18 DVD/CD
    Radeon 9200LE 128mb
    Albatron kx400-8xv motherboard with lan + 5.1 sound (KT-400 chipset)

Does linux have 5.1 support yet or will i have to disbale that

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I don't really know if there is support for 5.1 audio, but I think so.
    The other chipsets will be perfectly well supported at least, but I'm not sure about the Radeon. The Radeon drivers for Linux don't really seem to be perfect, so to speak. You might want to consider a GeForce instead.

Just Joined!
    Hi Dolda2000,
    About nforce, is the motherboard very troublesome itself or does it have trouble with linux?

If it has trouble with linux, do you know of other amd motherboards which are more compatible esp the LAN and sound?

Linux Guru
    It has troubles with Linux, since nVidia hasn't really released any really good Linux drivers yet (or so it seems, I haven't tried it myself, but lots of people are reporting trouble with it).

I don't buy mobos very often, so I don't really know, but here on the forums, almost the only onboard LAN and sound chipset that people are reporting problems with is nForce.

Linux User
    hm, i dun see any problem with nforce chipsets ah(MSI)!
    very powerful indeed, i even overclock my 2000+ to 2600+(1.67G to 2.18G), still very stable when i am running RH9.0, not even a hang.

Make sure u dun buy 2themax MBs, they suck! MSI kicks ass. Gigabyte is a good alternative, they have dual bios as well (GA-7NNXP).
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules