Find the answer to your Linux question:
sorry if this was already asked here but i need to know if what i hear is correct before i go out and spend large sums of money. i hear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Nforce2 Chipsets and Linux?

sorry if this was already asked here but i need to know if what i hear is correct before i go out and spend large sums of money. i hear that the Nforce2 chipsets dont work well with linux. and i was wondering if it would be a smart move to buy a Nforce2 Mobo?

Linux Guru
    I wouldn't bet on it. As long as the nForce just controls the memory and PCI bridge, you shouldn't need to worry, but if you have nForce sound/network or anything like that, I shouldn't say too much.

Linux User
    http://nanosys1.com/mb-as-a7n8x.html thats the one im looking to get. any comments on compatability?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I wouldn't bet on flawless compatibility with the onboard LAN. I don't really know about the onboard audio either. I haven't ever seen Realtek chipsets for audio, but on the other hand I haven't really look either.

Linux User
    ok ill be buying this one sometime hopefully soon. and i will post what works and what dont once i get it. i do have a SB live! and a lan card. so if the onboard one dont work, i know this one does.

Just Joined!
    I have the Asus A7N8X nForce2... What the problem? Install the driver and go...

Linux Guru
    Well, it hasn't been that easy for everyone.

Just Joined!
    I've got an Abit NF7-S and it was a bit tricky, but not too bad. I've installed Gentoo and SuSE 8.1 and they can both use the onboard LAN and Audio. The Linux support for the nForce2 is much better now than it used to be.

Just Joined!
    Installed Mandrake 9.1 a week ago and it detected the nforce2 mobo, sound and LAN fine and installed the nvidia drivers! also nvidia.com has linux drivers for their nforce2 in RPM format for each major Linux distribution.

Just Joined!
    check out the mobo i have at:

http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/mother...RN-L/index.htm

it has the same RTL8139C LAN onboard from Realtek as well as AC97 audio. Mandrake 9.1 detected this fine for me.