Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I recently upgraded to the new k3b and it requires/suggests that I enable scsi emulation on both of my cd rom drives: dvd rom and cd writer. When I look ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

cdrom mounting issue

I recently upgraded to the new k3b and it requires/suggests that I enable scsi emulation on both of my cd rom drives: dvd rom and cd writer. When I look in my hardware browser, it shows them as being /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1.

the issue that has come up is that my cd rom desktop icons don't seem to work that well.
    when I put a cd into my burner, the light just flashes really fast and I can't eject it but I can't see where it is mounted either (if it is).

ideas?

Linux Guru
    Did you update your fstab to point to the SCSI CD devices instead?

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, I tried that and changed the devices to scd0 and scd1 for the icons and that didn't work either.

im not sure if it makes a difference but it is just scsi emulation for the drives, they are not actual scsi drives.

previously I had my writer in my fstab as /dev/cdrom1 with scsi emulation in grub and it was working fine. I don't know why they aren't now.

so, let's consolidate what should be in the fstab and go from there.

right now (I have changed it back) I have this for my roms:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1

I also tried:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
    /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom1

They are listed in my hardware browser as /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 respectively so I would think the previous example would work. If that is so, I will try it again and see if I can get my icons to work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oh yeah, did you update the /dev/cdrom* symlinks?

Linux Enthusiast
    if you mean:

ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom
    ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom1

then yes

Linux Guru
    Oh well, I had to check, didn't I? Even the best can forget trivial things from time to time.
    Apart from the desktop icons, do the CD-ROMs work as they should?

Linux Enthusiast
    my dvd rom mounts at /mnt/cdrom1
    it should be mounting at /mnt/cdrom

I can't seem to get my burner to mount, even in cli

I figured out why it's screwing up - it's the new version of k3b - it has my drives ass backwards.

It has the mount device for the dvd rom as /dev/cdrom1 and the writer as /dev/cdrom and it won't let me change them. I was able to change the mount points though to correspond with that the k3b setup had.

what should I have in my fstab then?

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
    /dec/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1

or should I be using /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1 I would think the former as my roms are not true scsi devices but emulated as such.

when i try to click on the icons to mount, I get an error saying that only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

Linux Guru
    Check which is which by running "eject /dev/scd0". Does that eject the DVD or the burner? Also, am I right by guessing that the DVD-ROM is the secondary master?

Linux Enthusiast
    yes, I checked both of those and they worked the way they should.

dvd rom - sec master
    writer - sec slave

so, my question is - do I need to change my fstab?
    It seemed to work ok before with my burner as cdrom1 and it was emulated as scsi, but perhaps should be doing this:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
    /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom1

right?

or just use symlinks? cause those don't seem to be working unless I am doing something wrong.

Linux Guru
    You shouldn't have to change your fstab if you're using symlinks. That is, of course, the advantage of symlinking your CD-ROMs, ie. that you always have one name (/dev/cdrom) that always works.
    How do you mean that it worked? Which tray got ejected when you did eject /dev/scd0?
    Check also that pam_console has been configured to set up the correct permissions on /dev/scd[01]. I think much of that magicdev-like code opens the devices directly, and therefore they naturally need permissions to do so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast