Find the answer to your Linux question:
hiya, Im downloading the Debian .iso's at the moment, i have never done an "all CD" install of debian before, normally just used the 1st CD then done a network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

how many Debian ISO's do i need?

hiya,

Im downloading the Debian .iso's at the moment, i have never done an "all CD" install of debian before, normally just used the 1st CD then done a network install.

Anyway, how many of the 7 CD's do i need to download to my my system up an running with X, and all the usual extras?

Cheers,

Jason

Just Joined!

Re: how many Debian ISO's do i need?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    hiya,

Im downloading the Debian .iso's at the moment, i have never done an "all CD" install of debian before, normally just used the 1st CD then done a network install.

Anyway, how many of the 7 CD's do i need to download to my my system up an running with X, and all the usual extras?

Cheers,

Jason
    i imagine only one of the boot cd's, then 6, and 7, if you really want them.

i downloaded all the cd's, as well as all the FreeBSD, Slackware, Knoppix, Redhat, and Mandrake CD's when i downloaded linux ISO's... then i burned all of them to cd. my cd wallet got a bit thicker after that.

You can install X and a desktop using ISO 1, And then when your are installing you can just add another apt source but use http insted of a cd-rom. So if the cdrom hasnt got the package it will just download it from the mirror you selected

Linux Guru
    cheers people.

Im 50% through the last .iso now

I wasnt sure what was on the CD's so i got all of them. for example, to get a redhat system going you need 3 CD's, and that covers pretty much everything. you then have another CD for Documentation, and another CD for something else, ive forgotten what.

I cant beleive that by downloading 7 Debian CD's ive broke the terms and conditions of my ISP. That sucks. I'll be awaiting the letter telling me i no longer have internet access

Jason

and another CD for something else, ive forgotten what.
    source maybe?

I cant beleive that by downloading 7 Debian CD's ive broke the terms and conditions of my ISP. That sucks. I'll be awaiting the letter telling me i no longer have internet access
    What crappy ISP do you have? They possibly can't tell you what to download and not to download.. Or do you have some sort of download restrictions? Some friends of mine have it, and when they downloaded more than 30gig, they get ISDN speed instead of their normal speed...

Linux User
    It's not uncommon to have d/l and u/l restrictions on your internet account. My ISP limits traffic to 6GB/month (5 GB/month down, 1 GB/month up). I personally have never broken them, but I heard that when you do, they start off by just issuing you a warning email.

Hopefully your ISP doesn't just boot you on first offence!
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Linux Guru
    My crappy ISP is NTL

i have a 1GB download limit per day, but is only enforced if i exceed it 3 days in 14. The great thing is, they imposed this restriction at the same time they raise prices

Jason