Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old computer (p2-350 w/256MB RAM) and I currently have SUSE 9.2 installed. It runs fine, but a bit slow in KDE 3.3. I am planning on reinstalling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Rebuilding a system, thoughts on partitions...

I have an old computer (p2-350 w/256MB RAM) and I currently have SUSE 9.2 installed. It runs fine, but a bit slow in KDE 3.3. I am planning on reinstalling and getting things setup "right".

So, to start, I want to repartition my hard drives. My thought was, seeing I have a 6gig and 12gig hard drive on the box, that I could setup the following:

hda1 = 512MB swap
    hda2 = 5.5GB root for distro 1
    hdb1 = 6GB root for distro 2
    hdb2 = 6GB root for distro 3

I think that gives me enough space to play around with different distros. I know that I will keep one partition for SUSE 9.2 and I am looking to install Slackware 10.1 tonight.

I guess I have two questions. The first is, can I have just one swap partition no matter how many distros. I figure I can point all of them to the same swap space and not worry about it, since I will only boot one of them at a time. Is this a correct assumption?

The second question is, with swap space, is it better to have this at the beginning of a drive or not? Pros, cons?

Ok, one more question...does this setup seem to be reasonable for what I plan on doing? Just wanting to check my thinking to make sure this plan is something I should go ahead with.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

1) I can sare SWAP space, I have SuSE, Ubuntu amd Slack using mine.

2) I generaly put the SWAP patition at the front of the drive, it just feel it is out of the way there, espectially if I want to play with pertitions.

3) The partitions seem fine, but note that I doubt a full install of everything on suse 9.2 will fit an on a 6GB partition, so just be selective in what you install. Also to think about would be to make a partition for files so that youcan share them easily between distros, and if you get rid of a distro you don't have to transfer the fiels elseware.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

The old adage was that it was better to put swap space at the beginning of the drive because it would be the part accessed more quickly than anything else. I haven't really been able to tell a difference (with the caveat that my machines have more than enough memory to ever "need" to use swap).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't do a full install of SUSE before, so I am not too worried about that 6GB being too small. But, now that you mention the extra partition for sharing files, and seeing that I was only going to use that last partition for another distro *IF* I found one I wanted to play with, I might just use that to share files. Very good suggestion!!!

So, just curious, what is the common thought behind having multiple distros?

I mean, I am doing it because I really like SUSE, but with my hardware, think that Slackware will run a lot faster (even though I am aware that KDE 3.3 on SUSE 9.2 is probably the reason for the slowness of my system). SUSE was a breeze to install and everything works and it is easy to add/remove stuff with YaST, so I don't want to lose that altogether.

Slack usually does run faster than Suse (and most other distros, for that matter). In my experience, Mandrake is usually also a bit faster than Suse and it also has a very powerful Control Center (like Suse) and a great package manager in urpmi. You might want to give it a shot on one of your partitions as well, just to get a taste of it. Myself, I'm a pretty shameless distro whore, so my machines usually have a quintuple boot or more
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

As for having multible distros I do it for a bit of variaty, I have slack for web/irc file editing, ubuntu for work with OO.o etc, and SuSE there for the bootloader config.

Its all about playing with them and seeing what you want to do, some distros do things better than otheres etc.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2