Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All , Just a unique problem . I had a machine wherein i used to use Windows and Linux as a dual boot machine . Linux's boot was in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reinstalling BOOT partition

Hi All ,

Just a unique problem . I had a machine wherein i used to use Windows and Linux as a dual boot machine . Linux's boot was in Primary partition . Last week i had to reinstall my windows . So now my linux boot partition is washed off . My windows is up and running . Also the linux partitions other than boot are also intact . Is there any method by which I can bring up my Linux OS without having to reinstall whole linux ? Just like reinstalling only boot again ?? Waiting for your valuable resonses . Thanx .

Just Joined!
    Hi

i don't think you need to reinstall the boot partition, but only to reinstall the boot loader. You can boot with any linux installation Cd, or use a rescue distro like System-Down Rescue (www.system-down.com). You simply have to relaunch lilo or reinstall grub and the job is done.

Just Joined!

just wanted to confirm

hi !!!
    i'm new to this linux world and so far have used Suse 9.0 ,9.1 and fedora core 3 .
    I have done this reinstallation of the Grub thing a lot of times on my Suse 9.0 and just wanted to confirm if any of the linux CD will solve the purpose ... ( i'm sorry but i never got the chance to try this ) ...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes any linux installation cd will solve the problem, even a linux boot floppy can solve the problem. You just need a shell on the pc.

Just Joined!
    THanx Debian ..... it worked just by issueing lilo command . Thanx .