Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. Just encountering some more problems with the above install. After getting through everything and configuring yaboot with no apparent problems and kernel configured as per the handbook, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo/OS X Dual-Boot Install - PPC

Hi all.

Just encountering some more problems with the above install.
    After getting through everything and configuring yaboot with no apparent problems and kernel configured as per the handbook, I encountered one issue.
    After running ybin -v the handbook suggests exiting and then unmounting as per the following:
    Code:
    /gentoo  ybin-v
    /gentoo  exit
    /  unmount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo
    /  reboot
    Now, no problem with that - it makes sense (yes, I follow it that far...), but when typing exit I get taken back to the first announcement when you start the install (about SSH etc) and it goes to /root rather than / as I would expect. Also when I then try running unmount I get the bash error that the command doesn't exist/is not recognised. I tried a few times and tried to check the help but received no real clue other than to try unmount2 - same thing.
    Failing all else I chose to try the reboot anyway at which point (after hitting an error unmounting LMV volumes) it asks me for a root pass (not yet set) for maintenance or pressing CTRL-D. Pressing CTRL-D continued to reboot the system.
    On reboot, All my options are there in yaboot (Linux, Max OSX, CD) and going into Linux brings up a white screen with the following:
    Code:
    ...ok
    openingdisplay /pci@f0000000/ATY,JasperParent@10/ATY,Jasper_B@1_
    And thats it...no more, no less. After waiting 10 minutes (with no firther responses coming from the machine) I rebooted and tried to see if the OSX partition still worked. Choosing it simply flashed the screen (as though it was trying) and then returned me back to the yaboot screen.
    Repeated attempts on this also failed.
    Now, I'm unsure about what I screwed up with the OSX side of things, and my initial guess for the whitescreen is maybe that I screwed something up in the KernelConfig that didn't detect until later? Not sure if that was possible and able to affect this scenario but just a thought.
    As for the unmount - I'm at a complete loss.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

For a list of my previous problems/work in progress on the install, can be found at
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-37708.html

Decided to post the further questions here as its more specific.

Thanks
    Dave

PS: Running on Apple Alumnium Powerbook G4 1GHz, 512Mb RAM, Airport Extreme (I know, it won't work...), 2xFirewire, 2xUSB2.0, Superdrive

Linux Guru

Re: Gentoo/OS X Dual-Boot Install - PPC

Quote Originally Posted by TDave
    Code:
    /gentoo  ybin-v
    /gentoo  exit
    /  unmount /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo
    /  reboot
    I hate to have to point this out, but the command is umount and not unmount. And every time I've been given a choice of pressing ctrl-d or entering a password, it means there is some filesystem corruption that needs to be attended to: for "maintenance". Entering ctrl-d, as far as I know, will normally mount the filesystem read only, so there's not much you can do with that. I'd suggest you check the man pages for fsck and try doing a filesystem check before mounting your partitions on /mnt/gentoo.

Good luck.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I hate to have to point this out, but the command is umount and not unmount.
    DOH!

And every time I've been given a choice of pressing ctrl-d or entering a password
    Yep, think I just got confirmation on what this might be from the gentoo forums (finally plucked up courage...) they never mentioned umount though...

Time for Dave vs Gentoo (Round 5)
    *Ding*