Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Have been here before and found there is a wealth of knowledge. So now onto the question, It's been asked before (by me and others). But how on earth ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound Blaster Live Player 5.1 problem!

Hi,

Have been here before and found there is a wealth of knowledge. So now onto the question,

It's been asked before (by me and others). But how on earth do I get my speakers to sound right in Mandrake 9? I have a Sound Blaster Live Player 5.1 card with 5.1 Cambridge Soundworks speakers and they are the dogs bollocks in Windows, but they sound awful in Linux (they sound less powerful, the bass comes through the two front speakers with everything else and they just sound cheap)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim

Linux Guru
    Which version of the 5.1 Cambridge speakers are these? Could you post a link to the product's homepage, please? Also, how have you connected the SB Live to the speakers? Is through 1, 2 or three cables or via the digital link?

Just Joined!
    CTT2200

Can't find the product page for them though

They aren't the digital variety, so don't have the digital cable anyway

They are connected via the green, black and orange cables

Thanks

Linux Guru
    First of all, verify for sure that all cables are connected to where they are supposed to. If that's not it, see if it's fixed by unplugging the orange one. I have experienced that the ALSA driver for emu10k1 activates that as a digital output, which naturally produces very bad sound when fed into the amplifier as an analog input. Maybe some OSS emu10k1 driver versions do the same.