Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been using RedHat 8 so far, but I'm going to try slack. Is there anything I should know before doing it, or does the manual and documentaion at slack ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm about to install slackware...

I've been using RedHat 8 so far, but I'm going to try slack. Is there anything I should know before doing it, or does the manual and documentaion at slack cover it all?

Linux Guru
    proberly the thing which is most different from Redhat is the packaging system.

There is a group of categorys (about 8 or 9), each identified with a letter.

Each package group contains individual pieces of software in that category.

I think this is explained in the setup program from what i remember when you choose your package categorys you want to install.

It would be advisable to read this: http://www.slackware.com/book/ before starting installation and operation of slackware, if for no other reason than to get used to the differences between redhat and slack.

Jason

Just Joined!
    That book is a great resource! i think i let somebody borrow it and never got it back anyway, another thing you may notice about slack is the installation isn't as "pretty" as with mandrake or RH. but don't be intimidated, slack get's a bad reputation because of the "hard" install. I must say the hardest install i've ever had was with Corel Linux, back in the day. and that was supposed to be the "user friendly" linux!!

Mike