Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have XP running on partition #2 on drive A. I just installed Fedore Core 3 on partition #4 (after XP was already on), and had GRUB as my boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Hanging GRUB?

I have XP running on partition #2 on drive A. I just installed Fedore Core 3 on partition #4 (after XP was already on), and had GRUB as my boot loader and changed made to the MBR. The installation went fine....

Now, when the computer boots, it says:

GRUB loading stage2

and hangs...... What is this? Any ideas how to fix it? Which partition should be active? I currently have partition #4 active. 'Preciate your help.

not szure that I can help, but a description of what should be happening may help.

Grub has a small part of itself sitting on the mater boot record (mbr) of the hard disk that you are booting from (as defined in your BIOS). At boot up, after the POST, control should be handed over to the little bit iof grub on your mbr, which in turn will pass control over to a file sitting in the /boot/grub/ folder in your Linux partition. The name(s) of the file(s) is *stage1_5 (sometimes needed for certain file systems, the "*" is replaced by the name of the filesystem) and then stage2. Stage 2 should load your menu and the pretty background picture. From there you would select an operating system and away you go.

Like I say, don't know if I can help, apart from telling you that if all else fails you can always get WinXP back by using the CD to boot and then entering "bootcfg /rebuild" at the command prompt.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

Disk Type

Does the fact my disk is Serial ATA affect this (sda vs. hda)? I also have my root LINUX partition about 210GB into my hard disk. Could this be causing problems?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have seen posts from people having problems with SATA disks, so you may want to attack this problem from that point of view.

sorry I can't be of more help

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS