Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, the following problem is the result of my first attempt to make a xp/mandrake dual boot. Mandrake works fine, I just can't boot windows any more. This is what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot Problem

Well, the following problem is the result of my first attempt to make a xp/mandrake dual boot. Mandrake works fine, I just can't boot windows any more. This is what happened, I had windows xp pro running on my computer, all was well. I downloaded mandrake and made some cds to do the install. In windows I used PartitionMagic and the 'install new operating system' wizard to re-partition my single hard drive before installing mandrake. I put the main partition for mandrake before the windows one then a smaller one for the swap, leaving windows partition now as the last one on the drive. This is where I think I went wrong. I rebooted, partitionmagic did its thing then I went on with the install of mandrake with lilo as my boot manager. Now, I power on, get the lilo screen, can boot mandrake fine. If I try to boot windows I get the boot screen, scrolling bar, then a blue screen with some error on then the computer powers down and reboots. I made a windows boot floppy before I started anything, but it doesn't work now, I think because the files in windows are now in a different place/partition. So I am not sure if I need to change things in lilo.config and if so to what, or if I need to edit the boot.ini on my boot floppy to get back into windows. The problem is made more annoying by the fact I don't have a windows install cd. So I am kinda in need of a pointer or two....

Check out www.bootdisk.com. Just get one of the Win98 floppys. All you are going to need is fdisk.
    Also make a boot disk for your Mandrake.

After you get the disk, do
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    That will take care of Lilo.

Now you should be able to boot into windows. Unless the error you received was "ntldr missing".

Now you can use your Mandrake boot disk to repair Mandrake.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I got the windows98 floppy and did fdisk.
    That did indeed get rid of lilo.... but I still cannot boot into windows.
    The error its giving me is the HAL.DLL file is missing or corrupt. I have spent some time searching for information, and am pretty sure I need to edit the boot.ini file in the windows xp boot floppy I made to get it to look in the 3rd primary partition for the HAL.DLL file.
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    This is a default boot.ini file.
    I think I need to change the partition value to 3 for windows, but I need to add code to the [operating systems] to tell it there is a different operating system in the first two partitions.
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ ??????????
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\ ??????????
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    I have tried a few different things but had no joy and still get the missing HAL.DLL error. That's the same one I was getting before. Not sure if I am going in the right direction though. I'm thinking I may have to buy an xp pro cd so I can recover it that way. Found a few cheap on e-bay, so if all else fails, that's my backup plan. I did backup the whole drive before I started messing with it, so my data is not lost, but I cannot restore it unless windows is running. Bit out of my depth now, so any more ideas would be much appreciated.

Linux Engineer
    With XP, you need the installation CD. Once the CD is booted, you'll receive 3 choices. Select R to repair Windows. Select the Windows installation you wish to repair (you may also need to give the administrator password) and at the prompt type: FIXMBR. Type Exit and you should be good to go.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Put the Win98 bootdisk in, when you get to the A:\ prompt type
    Code:
    del win386.swp
    That will bring up the Windows file protection program, and any missing dll's will be replaced.

Hope this helps
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Code:
    del win386.swp
    That will bring up the Windows file protection program, and any missing dll's will be replaced.

Hope this helps
    It says 'file not found'
    The exact error is "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

retired1af, I wish I had a windows xp cd, but my computer came with the recovery on a harddrive partition.... not going to fall for that one again !!

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by budman7
    Code:
    del win386.swp

Hope this helps
    That works great if you're using Win9X, however the system in question is running XP, and I'm going to assume NTFS. Win9X recovery techniques will not work in this case.
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Sorry, it looks like you do need the Windows XP cd. I pulled this from the Microsoft knowledge base

SYMPTOMS
    When you start your computer after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP, you may receive one or both of the following error messages:
    Invalid Boot.ini
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows\System32\Hal.dll
    CAUSE
    This issue may occur if the Boot.ini file is missing, damaged, or contains incorrect entries.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, start the computer from the Windows XP CD, start the Recovery Console, and then use the Bootcfg.exe tool to rebuild the Boot.ini file. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or contact your computer manufacturer.
    2. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
    3. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    4. When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    5. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
    6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    7. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
    8. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file: a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:
    Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
    Enter Load Identifier
    This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
    c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
    Enter OS Load options
    When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

9. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts, and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select the operating system to start" message.

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    My research came to the same conclusion on all the leads I followed up. My laptop came with the xp recovery on a partition on the hard drive. Makes life very difficult when you need the cd !! My laptop is my main pc, my desktop is a second hand one that I have put the dual boot on. That came with no cd either. Ah well.... I looked into making an xp cd with the i386 folder I have in C:\Windows, but its far more difficult than I ever imagined. Bottom line is you need the cd for just about everything !! One more question, this is all cos I moved my ntfs partition and put Mandrake first on the hard drive. Would it have been better to put Mandrake after Windows ? This was the practice run before I do a dual boot with my laptop. I need to re-think my strategy.

Linux Engineer
    Windows traditionally does like to be the first thing on a drive, but with XP, it no longer is a huge issue.

Having said that, I don't like to tempt fate. On my 2 drive system, XP is on /dev/hda. My Linux swap is /dev/hdb1, Root is /dev/hdb2, Home is /dev/hdb3 and my NTFS data partition is /dev/hdb4
    Vector Linux SOHO 7