Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently configured a dual boot with Windows XP Professional SP2 and Ubuntu v4.10. I already had XP installed, and I resized my partition using partition magic. Then I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub will not load Windows XP with Ubuntu dual boot

I recently configured a dual boot with Windows XP Professional SP2 and Ubuntu v4.10. I already had XP installed, and I resized my partition using partition magic. Then I installed Ubuntu to the new partition.

When I turn on the computer, if I select Ubuntu from my list of operating systems, it will load just fine. But when I select Windows, it hangs. No errors or anything. Here is the grub config for Windows:

root (hdd0,0)
    File system type unknown, partition type 0x7
    save default
    make active
    chainloader +1

This is the screen that it is stuck on:
    http://www.s91678300.onlinehome.us/alex/Picture 001.jpg

Any help will be appreciated!

Alex

have a look at your /boot/grub/grub.conf file (in your Linux) and see what it looks like for the windows choice . It should look like :-

Code:
    title Windows XP
       rootnoverify (hd2,0)
       makeactive
       chainloader +1
    where the (hd2,0) will be replaced by the hard disk and partition number relevant to your setup (see tha tutorial on grub boot problems in this site for more info - http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19999.html )

Nerderello

ps, please don't use large pictures as your signature as it (a) uses up space on the site and (b) takes me ages to download the page. Thanks.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS