Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded from rh7.2 to 9, i didnt upgrade the software like installing it over the old version, i did a clean installation. the thing is that in 7.2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

rh9 rpms installing uninstalling

I just upgraded from rh7.2 to 9, i didnt upgrade the software like installing it over the old version, i did a clean installation. the thing is that in 7.2 i could access the rpmīs installed in my system and install uninstall and upgrade as i please. now in 9 i see a new interface add and remove software but the only things i can add and remove from there is the rh9 own software I installed a new software not included with rh9 i cant uninstall it from there... where can i find an utility to do that??? on rh9 to manage all my rpmīs?

Thanks in advance

Linux Enthusiast
    see my guide, I don't really recommend the add/remove apps feature in rh9.

if you wanna make things really easy, use at rpms, there is a page on it on my guide.

if you like using rpms, check out my red hat 9 page

Just Joined!

I am reviewing your guide but...

You point some RPMS from Freshrpms, I have downloaded some rpms from there and i cant install them! so frustrating, when i double click on then, the rpm installer open and it shows the reading headers etc... and then dissapear no installation option!!! any idea?

Thanks for your help, I will keep checking your guide up.

Just Joined!
    Previous versions of Red Hat (such as 7.3) can do this also, but you need to run the package manager or insert the cd and a different program will start to help you figure things out. It is easier and more convenient in Red Hat 9.
    The package manager you mention here I Can remeber that on my RH7.2 (Seawolf) is it possible to find it and use it in in RH9??

Linux Engineer
    Use..

Code:
    rpm -ivh <rpmpackage> to install the application

and 

rpm -e <rpmpackage> to uninstall the program
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    yes thank you... i am just lazy ... as a consequence of windoze!!
    no no i am lazy... i guess. so i dont like to use the console but i guess that do it... thank you i will use the console.

Linux Enthusiast
    make sure you are NOT getting the ones with SRC, MDK, PPC in the name, get the red hat ones, they should be listed there, and I agree, it is MUCH better to use the terminal to install apps, in fact I never do the double click thing, it sucks, imho.

Linux Guru
    Actually, the console is better in all ways. It's an incredibly powerful way of doing virtually anything. See http://www.linuxcommand.org/ for more info.

Linux Enthusiast
    I have that bookmarked now, will check it out later, gotta love kickstart tho