Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there. Got problems with my dedicated root server and I need to re-install fedora core at the same time I want to upgrade to Core 3. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Install of Fedora

Hi there.

Got problems with my dedicated root server and I need to re-install fedora core at the same time I want to upgrade to Core 3.

I have a headless remote server hosted in germany and I need to re-install fedora from scratch. Ideally i'm looking at using either a vnc version of anconda or a telnet session install.

The hard drive on the server is completely blank and access is via a debain rescue disk. Using this I have remote access, ssh and the ability to edit my disk drive.

Is there a way I can remotely install fedora onto a hdd using either the ram disk or the local drive.

For example can I not create and format the disk drive, place a kernel on it and boot straight into anaconda which allows telnet/vnc access?

This has had me scratching me head for ages. I have tried to use kickstart file but this has not help. Ideally I'm looking for a guide/tutorial someone may have created..

Indeed let me know if this can't be done...

Many Thanks
    newbie.

Just Joined!
    Little update...

I checked the var/log messages to see whats going on. As far as I can tell everything is booting correctly and all hardware detected, but the machine never comes back online.

I'm guessing the eth0 isn't starting correctly (uses dhcp), but I copied and checked the settings from the rescue disk which does load the eth0 adapter correctly.

Don't know if anyone knows why debian might not be launching the eth0 and obtaining the IP??????

Cheers

Just Joined!
    I've been looking for a way to remotely install/upgrade my RedHat box also. Not sure if it will help, but I ran accross this. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising. Will probably give it a go later this week.

http://www.dklevine.com/general/soft...0/rmredhat.htm

Mike

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close