Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an IBM thinkpad with only 8mb of ram, Any ideas on a version of linux for install. I looked into slackware and their web site says that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install on a laptop opinons?

I have an IBM thinkpad with only 8mb of ram, Any ideas on a version of linux for install. I looked into slackware and their web site says that the sys req's are min 16mb ram. Any ideas?

Linux User
    do you plan to use X? Because if not you are open to most anything - i even ran X on a 233 with 8 or 16 MB a while back (Redhat incidentally)
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    would it be a major resource hog to use x? I am very used to the gui browser for web browsing etc. And is it possible to run x with only 8mb of ram?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    X is a huge hog, i am guessing you need roughly twice as much power to run X as you do the command line only...

I canrt recall if my old laptop had 8 or 16, but it was only a 233 - give it a whirl on the thing, i know X will be slow(er) but see if you can deal with it, only run X when you need it - set the default boot to 3, get it setup and use startx when you need it
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Linux Guru
    I'm having huge speed problems running X on my 233 laptop with 32 MB RAM. I am running nautilus, though, so that will explain a lot of it, but it was fairly slow even when I ran gmc on it. It does seem like the IDE implementation is a bit broken on it though, since the system slows down very much even when updatedb ran on it with nice level 10 or something, so swapping is really undesired on it.
    When running text terminals there are no problems at all, though. When I use X on it normally, I'm just running a couple of xterms, sawfish and emacs, and that runs nicely. If you use twm and no advanced apps over X, it might be usable.
    Remember to add lots of swap, though.