Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed redhat linux. during the install redhat detects the graphics card that was built into my motherboard by compaq but in addition to that i installed a radeon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

setting up my other graphics card to work

I just installed redhat linux.

during the install redhat detects the graphics card that was built into my motherboard by compaq but in addition to that i installed a radeon 7000 which is a slightly better card which the install didnt recognize I chose from their list to install the radeon and put in all the specs of my card manually.

When the setup finished and linux booted up the graphics died when it it went into the graphics environment.

I reinstalled linux with the monitor plugged into the origional built in gfx cd and everything worked out great. But i want to be able to use my other card (which is in my pci slot)

if i try to just switch it to that gfx cd the screen is just blank

how can i get this working. Id like it to be like i had in windows where they both worked when i just plugged the monitor cable into each of them.

Im new to linux and everything in it is new and strange for me.

keep it real,
    jaaaaaaaaaaake

Linux Guru
    Can't you just select the Radeon driver during the installation? I don't remember the RH9 installation (it is RedHat 9 you installed, right?) that very well, but I'm fairly sure that you can select a driver.

Just Joined!
    yeh you can, but things get messed up and still wont start. could i do this after rh9 is installed?

yes i installed red hat 9.0

Linux Guru
    You probably could. What happens exactly when it starts?

Just Joined!
    the graphics die

Linux Guru
    Can you press Ctrl+Alt+F1 do get a text mode terminal?

Linux Enthusiast
    I've heard of people having trouble with that exact card before, I will look into it and report back.

Linux User
    i have that exact card on Slackware no problems and i had it on Mandrake. but one thing. always test the cofiguration like when i was on windows i could set it to like 80hz on 1024xblah but on linux i can only get 70 to work. not even 72 would work.

Just Joined!
    I think my problem is that red hat only finds the built in graphics card and not the PCI one and so if i dont install the right drivers for the built in one then both displays dont work.

Is there anything in linux that shows hardware conflicts like in windows so i can tell linux to skip the first one and look for the PCI. In the BIOS i have my PCI set to IRQ blah and the onboard disabled but if i plug my monitor into the onboard one in windows it still works fine.

Thats the way i would really like it in linux but if i can only get my pci card to work that will be fine with me.

Thanks for the help - you guys are awesome (keep it coming )

Linux User
    well one more thing..... linux doesnt even have specific drivers for the 7000 so your not getting the full power of it. and what are you going to be doing in linux? there isnt a whole lot of graphical need right now untill they start supporting gaming on linux. so for now i would just say use the onboard card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast