Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Well I don't see the harm in trying out GRUB. Now, looking at the Gentoo docs it tells me to set it up like this: Code: grub> root (hd0,0) // ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Well I don't see the harm in trying out GRUB. Now, looking at the Gentoo docs it tells me to set it up like this:
    Code:
    grub> root (hd0,0) // Your boot partition
    grub> setup (hd0) // Where the boot record is installed, here, it is the MBR
    So does GRUB substitute letters for numbers? I'm a little confused about how the partitions are labled.

Linux Guru
    The syntax is (hdx,y), where x is the number of the hard drive and y is the partition number. They are both zero-based, so (hd0,0) is the first partition on your first hard drive. Like in Linux, extended partitions always start at four, regardless of how many primary partitions you use, so (hd0,4) is your first extended partition. (hdx) refers to the entire hard drive, ignoring the partitions.

Linux User
    Ok so (hd1,3) would be the third partition on my second hard drive? We'll I'm not gonna be doing computer stuff for the next couple of days and I have to do something for a friend later in the week so I don't want to be messing around with anything. Once I get around to setting up GRUB I'll report back here further. Thanks for all the help so far, always appreciated...

Linux Guru
    No, the third partition of your second hard drive would be (hd1,2), since they are both zero-based.

Anyway, good luck!

Linux User
    I just thought of something, does the Gentoo root partition have to be boot flaged like the Mandrake one?

Linux Guru
    Nope. No Linux partitions need that. Linux ignores the boot flag.

Linux User
    Well Dolda you were right yet again. GRUB rocks, it works just like it was supposed to and was super easy to configure. And guess what, Gentoo BOOTS! Well for the most part. It starts booting and gives me one little thing about it not being set up for DEVFS support or what not, but then I just hit enter and boot up starts. Then when its doing the normal boot up it stops and gives me this:
    Code:
    *checking all file systems
    fsck 1.33
    /dev/hdb3 is mounted.  e2fsck: cannot continue, aborting
    Then it tells me to hit control something and the boot up process finishes and thats about that. Should I be overly concerned about either of these things mentioned above? I still have a lot of work to do with it; eth0 doesn't start up properly so I have to go back and do the rest of the network configuration stuff I skipped in the install. Then get Gnome set up and other fun stuff, so overall good experience and everything boots up fine and I'm happy. Thank you all for all your help, I'd be lost without you. Time to go play with Gentoo!

Linux Engineer
    You need to enable devfs support under the filesystems menu kernel for gentoo to work properly.

Linux User
    Where would I find that? I'm looking around in /usr/local/linux and I'm not sure what I'm looking for...

Linux Engineer
    Your kernel source is in /usr/src/linux

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast