Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
has anyone here tried linspire. formely know as lindows. it looks quite good from there web site especially with that cnr installation thing but i need to know what its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Anyone tried linspire?

has anyone here tried linspire. formely know as lindows. it looks quite good from there web site especially with that cnr installation thing but i need to know what its like from someone whos actually tried it.

There were some reviews on the current version. Maybe try a search on the major linux news sites. I read one positive review, however I did not use Lin(spire/dows).
    I\'m so tired .....

Linux Enthusiast
    I haven't used it, though I imagine it's a good n00b OS. Another one you might want to try (again, for newbs) is Xandros, I've heard good things about it on this site... I think you have to pay for it though, it's not much, it might be available for download. I've also heard that walmart sells computers with linspire pre-installed on them

Linux Newbie
    its not that im having trouble using the distro i got now. just that im bored and want to see what sort of other stuff are around.

Check www.distrowatch.com they have reviews of all there OS's, and where you can dl them.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I've used Lindows/Linspire. They have a Live CD4.x available for download if you want to give it a go.

Overall, I didn't like it. It seemed way too watered down. But maybe a little fun if you just want to kill an afternoon.

BTW, they claim to have the only xine-built DVD player with "Liscensed" coding for playing encrypted DVDs. I kindly chuckled at that. I'm not sure why.

Just Joined!
    I tryed it ONCE.

I as well found that it was trying much to hard to be a Microsoft product (water down) It was really really to install, but I don't like a OS that wants to give you alot of help when doing simple tasks

Just Joined!

Re: Anyone tried linspire?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper8896
    has anyone here tried linspire. formely know as lindows. it looks quite good from there web site especially with that cnr installation thing but i need to know what its like from someone whos actually tried it.
    i suggest giving xandros a chance it is simple to use and pretty user friendly but one down fall is some soft modems it does not support and you have to config them manually

Linux Newbie
    I tried it. It seeme useless. Didn't even feel like Linux.

I heard all that stuff 'bout the easier to use UI but found that it was just KDE with a new theme and a menu that real "Launch" instead of the usual KDE logo. Plus some minor changes here and there. But sice I'm a kind of new to Lin, I think I might've missed some of the more advanced features.

Linux Newbie
    parents recently made the switch with it, so being the local Linux expert I get to set everything up for them...

WAY too watered down, to the point of being disgusting in my opinion. Not to mention the fact that setting up peripherals is way too painful. Oh, setting them up is easy, but getting them to work is the trick.

You want a good starter distro? Go Mandriva. easy, intuitive, and flat out works when you want it too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast