Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm a first timer here, and when I try to install Mandrake 9.0 or Lindows my machine always hangs in the same spot. It hangs during setup at the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First time with Linux - Can't install - Tried two diff dists

I'm a first timer here, and when I try to install Mandrake 9.0 or Lindows my machine always hangs in the same spot. It hangs during setup at the hard drive partitioning part. When it hangs it goes to a black screen with a bunch of lines going horizontal across. I'm starting to think its an incompatible video card, but I want a second opinion. This machine is a Compaq Presario 7471 with onboard video (trident I think). I have other machines, but this is the one I designated for my Linux learning and testing. Any idea's? I swapped out hard drives when I read about a Western Digital issue elsewhere, but my Maxtor has the same problem.

Just Joined!
    FYI, I'm a former MS employee and happen to really like Microsoft. I've always wanted to give Linux a try, but never had the time or the spare machine. I'm the kind of guy that you want to help because I'm the kind of guy that can make a decision to move my entire corporation to the Linux desktop if I think its workable. Thanks guys.

Linux User
    ha! I think your full of sh*t - but outside of that, we usually help people because we want to, not because we make any money off moving M$ to linux.

It hangs during the hard drive partitioning and you think its a Video problem correct? (Why?)

Anyhow, disable the onboard video and stick another video card in there and see if that solves the problem - if it does, good - video problem solved, and if not - then we have eliminated that as a possibility.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Take a chill pill bro, that second post was pretty much tongue in cheek. I threw in two different video cards (both crap as well, only spares I have right now) and both had the same problem though they looked slightly different. One stuck with the gui but fuzzed a little and hung anyway, one I could still move the mouse but the gui retained its outline and got all wacked out. I also tried the text mode and vgalo after hitting F1. Same deal though in text mode I got funky ASCII characters jumping around the screen like their butts were on fire. Since all three spare video cards that I have are crap I don't have any extra's to throw at it. It only has PCI slots so I can't dump an AGP card in. Thanks for the reply though.

Linux User
    didnt mean to bite - i was just mouthing off

have installed linux on hundreds of machines, but to this day there are 2 i never got it working on - no idea why, just would not go - now on one of them it wont take win2k or linux, only win98 so i think maybe its a crap problem - anywho, back to you

it might help trying to borrow a real PCI if you think that's the issue - what else can you tell us about this system? CPU/MOBO/other accessories -- also, have you tried checking the CD's - maybe they are corrupted (this one stumped me for a few hours before)
    majorwoo

Just Joined!
    I used the cd's on one of my XP 1900+ machines and it installed perfectly fine. I think I'm going to dual boot that one for awhile until I figure out what it might be or stumble across a decent PCI vidcard. On my 1900+ I made the mistake of telling it to install everything so that I could learn everything. Now I don't know where the OS ends and the custom stuff begins! I'm going to reinstall again and do just the bare OS to figure it out. Its a Compaq Presario 7471 which has:

AMD K6-2 533mhz
    VIA Apolla MVP4 chipset
    Onboard Trident Blade3D AGP
    Standard AC'97 Audio Codec
    512MB SDRAM (256x2)
    20GB Maxtor 2MB 7200RPM ATA133 HDD
    32x CD-ROM
    Dumb looking Compaq case (That might be it...)

The search goes on, but so far me likie.

Linux User
    yeah - looks like pretty normal stuff, if i had to pick a piece out uot there i would go with the vid card too - have you tried another distro for kicks?
    majorwoo

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that's what I'd do too, try another distro.
    Otherwise, if it hangs during partitioning, isn't the problem likely to be with the hard drive? I've had several problems with defective hard drives, like IDE pins gone (Yes... I did stick in the connector upside down... So? Should that matter?), broken controller board and stuff. On one of them, windows worked but not linux... I guess linux uses some feature that windows didn't. (That was win98, so I wouldn't be too surprised... Even MS employees must agree that win9x/me sucks)

Linux Enthusiast
    When you say you installed everything, now you don't know where the OS stops and the custom stuff begins, what do you mean? The OS is just that, the OS, nothing else. No command line, no bash prompt, no "ls" command, etc. The installation tries to install what you will most probably need. When you install "everything" it just installs everything that distribution has. There are _plenty_ more programs out there, so everything besides kernel-2.4.x-x.x.x.rpm is "extra" (not that you can uninstall them, but they are extra). Windows is a bit different, because you cannot install "just the OS", they don't let you install windows without the GUI.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Guru
    I thought to mention that, wassy, but then I realized that operating system is really quite a loose term. It is often used to refer to just the kernel, but I think that the guys working more deeply with those things defines the kernel as just the part of an operating system: eg. The Hurd or Linux is often used as the kernel in the GNU operating system. The operating system often incorporates some basic services as well, such as the libc standards and often a system interface as well, such as a shell and basic commands, ie. something that you build applications on. I'd guess that PAM can be said to be part of the O/S as well.
    Since I didn't really know what he meant with operating system, I decided to stay quiet for then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast