Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Simple Server Install

Well I for my previous post I managed to get Fedora Core 2 cds from my friend. And he also donoted me a very old pc which is

Pentuim II 300 Mhz
    96 MB RAM
    4 GB Hard

So I get it to boot from CD and I installed fedora core 2 with server option selected but when installation complete I end up on some kind of command promote to enter password and user. When I enter the same user and pass as I selected in setup. but nothing GUI or grapical came. I m used to Windows so please help me setup my web server with graphics not command promote

P.S: I m totaly new to linux very new not even know how to show direcrtory listing so please help in detail.

The server install of Fedora assumes you want a headless server. For your hardware, a full gui-based install of Fedora will run a bit sluggish, but it will run (your memory is a bit low). You probably should have selected the Custom option in the installer and installed Gnome; then you would have booted into a graphical environment.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Reference this topic: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-39094.html

( to list directorys use "dir" or "ls" command(s) )

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    For Gnome should I need to install Windows X too?. bcoz people here told me not to install windows X they say if u wanna setup a server u must not install windows X.

Yes you definitely would have to. If you want any kind of graphical environment, you will have to install x.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

OK let me try that too. thanks for the support i'll keep in contact for further help.