Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I was just wondering how I would install linux with out booting from the CD ... Because I seem to not be able to and need an alternative Thnak ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Slackware 9.0

Hi,

I was just wondering how I would install linux with out booting from the CD ...

Because I seem to not be able to and need an alternative

Thnak You

Just Joined!
    i'm doing that very very same thing this very very same second LOL .. you need an image (boot disk) and a root disk. the files are called
    bare.i and color.gz there are others but those are the most popular.. if you find any of these that work PLEASE tell me.. cause i'm trying to boot up Slackware 9.0 with a bare.i frlom slack 4.0 LOL and it's not going well. but it's the only one i can find. The slackware9.0 boot disks online i can't find one that actually works. i always get "compression error". i have yet to have a problem with a slackware version until 9.0

Mike

Most of the time, all you have to do to get your computer to be able to boot cd's is go into the bios and switch the boot order around. It generally defualts it to below harddrives. If you were to put it right above or below floppy in the boot order you should be able to install slackware that way.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    My installation program work good now thanks to these places disks ...

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux...-9.0/rootdisks/
    ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux...-9.0/bootdisks/

Just Joined!
    Mado.. for some reason Slackware has a tendency to not boot from cd. I find it quite rare that it actually will.

Mike

mine worked perfectly when I did it...

Just Joined!
    Yea when i got the right cd mine did too .. but loading 7.1 on any machine was impossible.. i install 7.1 on 4 machines none would boot.

mike

Linux User
    I threw Slackware 9 on my machine last night, and everything went smoothly. Except I must have buggered up the lilo install and had to boot from a floppy. No biggie, can be fixed.

I know Slackware is not as 'bloated' as other distros like Redhat, but to me, X looked a bit rough. Not quite as smooth or refined as under RH (both using KDE). I did try configuring the display for my specific monitor (VS E790, refresh rate at 75Hz, resolution at 1280x1024), but still doesn't look as nice as under RH.

Is this a common Slackware-conversion experience, or are there other settings I should try playing with?
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    I had mandrake 9.0 on this machine, before i had slackware. i would agree X in Mdrk looked better. but i'm not to into the flashy stuff with X.. i mean the best X setup i've seen was Debian with that cool Debian logo as the background! hehe

Mike
    BTW i did the same thing with my LILO install.

Just Joined!
    i insatlled it but when i run startx it shotsdown my monitors. light starts to blink on my monitor

help :banghead:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast