Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I just installed SuSE 9.1, and attempted to do a dual boot using the Windows XP Boot Loader. I followed the instructions on doing this that can be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with Windows Boot Loader

Hi all.

I just installed SuSE 9.1, and attempted to do a dual boot using the Windows XP Boot Loader. I followed the instructions on doing this that can be found in the Linux Tutorials section of Linuxforums.org. The problem that I seem to be running into is when ever I try to boot my Linux from there, I always get an error that says
    Code:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt
    or something to that effect. Fortunately I can still boot into Windows without any problems.

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you.

p.s. I have Windows installed on my Primary Master hard drive and Linux on my Primary Slave if that matters.

Why do you have Linux booting with the Windows boot loader? Just use Grub, as YaST will set it up for you during the install to dual-boot. However if you are set in stone on using the Windows bootloader, then you'll want to see about making sure that the hal.dll file is in the right place, and if it's there, replace it with a virgin copy from the Install CD.

Just Joined!
    The only reason that I didn't really want to use GRUB was because last time I tried to dual boot (which was a complete disaster), my MBR was corrupted.

Well I've installed SuSe about 10 times and never once has it corrupted my Windows Partition or the MBR.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I was using Red Hat at the time. I suppose it's worth a shot.

Thanks

No problem. I've got a lot of problems with SuSe, but the install process is not one of them :P
    Cheers

Just Joined!
    Installing GRUB worked perfectly. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks again.

Just Joined!
    With the hal.dll thing, I had that and in my case I had to go into boot.ini and change the windows Partition(0) entries to Partition(2) as installation of linux and mucking with partition magic had shifted things around a bit.