Find the answer to your Linux question:
Lo all, i finaly got linux to work after many probs, but all is well now, well apart from one slight hitch with my cd-rom. I'm not sure if this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    woj
    Just Joined!

CD-Rom

Lo all,
    i finaly got linux to work after many probs, but all is well now, well apart from one slight hitch with my cd-rom.
    I'm not sure if this is realy a phatlinux prob, more a general linux prob.
    When linux starts up it tell me that my harddrive and my 2 cd-roms drives are called: hda, hdb, and hdd. Soo i manged to mount the cdrom from /dev/hdd onto the /mnt/cdrom, but when i try and copy anything from my cd's, or install rpm packs, it tell me to insert the cd thats in the drive into /dev/cdrom, but its not in /dev/cdrom/ its in dev/hdd.
    Just wondered if there was a way to change what the cd-roms were called.
    hope u guys rnt too confused, lol! :o

plz help.

Linux Guru
    Probably that's just some program messing with fstab in a way that it shouldn't. There should be a symlink called /mnt/cdrom, and if there isn't, try creating one (see ln(1)) that points to the CD that you want to use.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think you misunderstood Dolda, he is asking about devices, not mountpoints. try `ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom2` You have 2 cdroms, I don't know how phatlinux deals with that, but it might take some configuring to get the right programs to look at the right cdroms.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Sorry... just a typo. I meant to write /dev/cdrom, not /mnt/cdrom.

Just Joined!
    Wassy's suggestion is making a symlink (symbolic link) to the /dev/hd?. So /dev/cdrom will point to the /dev/hd? device.

Just in case you didn't know what all that ln -s stuff actually means. Of course there's always RTFM.