Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Have had my share of install probs. First CD download FUBAR, found defective during install packages. Second download and CD of .iso resulted in a good install, made boot floppy, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lilo fails with L 99

Have had my share of install probs.
    First CD download FUBAR, found defective during install packages.
    Second download and CD of .iso resulted in a good install, made boot floppy, installed Lilo in MBR. Reboot failed with L 99 displayed.
    Used boot floppy to boot into 2.4.20. Entered root and passwd. Startx gave kde display and established internet contact with Google.
    My system is not a simple one. I have capability to install 12 drives in mobo and pci card access ide. It is athlon 1900+ with 768MB ram, ATI 8500LE agp, eth0, CD rom and CDRW.
    I have one drive on hdd for win 98
    I have another drive in hda with Debian Linux boots on Lilo MBR
    I have a third hard drive with Gentoo linux that boots up on hdb with lilo in MBR
    I have installed slackware in an 80GB drive meant to install in hdb with lilo in the MBR

My system uses pc-ide to enable four additional drives for data storage/retrieval. When this card is inserted into the mobo, drives on the ide which are installed in its ports are listed in the boot display before Linux prompt appears. If drives are installed, the linux install CD recognizes the pci-ide as first hard drive, therefore the ID system becomes reversed from normal boot. The hdb drive is therefore the slave drive on the pci card's primary controller. If the pci-ide card is removed, hdb is then the mobo primary controller slave drive.
    In addition to the previous detail, the bios in my mobo(asus a7v333) permits the selection of the boot sequence of the mobo controlled hard drives, floppy, CDROM, and any scsi devices installed in the system. Thus, hdb hard drive can be installed in the slave slot of the primary controller, identified in the boot bios, and the system should then boot on hdb.(But only if the pci-ide card is not installed...it causes the reversal
    of the boot sequence)
    If the pci-ide card and drives are present, the boot attempts to load the slave drive on the pci-ide primary controller even though the correct drive was addressed in the system's boot bios. This was confirmed when boot was performed using the floppy boot disk, which resulted in kernel install correctly after moving the slackware drive from mobo hdb to pci-ide hdb(slave in pci primary).
    Experts will now repeat the oft stated...append=ide-reverse... which is entered in lilo on the same line as ....hde-ide-scsi ... on my lilo.conf ....below;
    boot=/dev/hdb
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    prompt
    vga=normal
    timeout=50

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label=linux
    root=/dev/hdb3
    append="hde=ide-scsi ide=reverse"
    read-only

I assume the failure to boot with lilo ( L99) means that the system is trying to boot on a drive which has no MBR like no drive in hdb(which is the condition at present, no drive in pci-ide slave slot). This means that the append statement was not recognized by slackware(It works in gentoo and Debian).
    Attempts to utilize boot time entry of: ide=reverse ... produce rejected boot statements, even if ... append="ide=reverse"... is entered at boot time it is rejected.
    Why are the entries rejected?

Just Joined!
    I had this problem .. you put LILO on your MBR on your hardisk and won't boot correctly.. The only way that i have so far found to fix it (without doing too much work) is to use the cd, and make a boot disk. Then boot from the floppy.

Mike

Just Joined!
    Thanks amigo!
    I have decided I don't understand lilo and probably never will.....
    I made a new install of slackware in a new drive and set it up in the first hard drive slot, which as far as I can see is the only place one can install into the MBR.
    The result was a good install and boot in lilo. The system came up, logged in and setup e-mail, etc.
    I have yet to find a way to load, using lilo, any drive on the system independent from all other drives...no boot file in a master drive partition somewhere else in the system.
    Perhaps ram-disc is an answer.
    At present, the drive has to be removed, install another drive to boot with lilo on another linux flavor in hard drive slot hda. The boot floppy is also useable but not as convenient. Pci-ide is still a factor because the boot floppy doesn't have the same data that lilo has...the append info.
    I expect that I will encounter more difficulties as time goes by. So far, slackware has a good install setup and good features with the minimal install.

Thanks for the remarks....

Magic? I do magic...I make money disappear

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if I understand you correctly, you have more than one hard disk and would like LILO to handle the booting to any of the partions on any of the hard disks.

This is do able. What you have to tell lilo (through /etc/lilo.conf) is which hard disk and which prtion in each hard disk your operating systems are. Have a search on LILO and do (on your own PC) a 'man lilo' to see what needs to be done.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Howdy and thanks for comment.

I believe that the use of Lilo requires it to be mounted on the first hard drive(determined by the mobo bios).

Therefore, if lilo resides on one drive (hda) and the drive utilized by the selected kernel to load is on another drive, the desired independent use of hard drives is not provided.

I have no idea what loader can do a boot load on an independent basis except maybe ramdisk.
    With lilo, if hda goes kaput, all is lost.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it(stolen remark)

Linux Newbie
    This reminds me of the time i was stupid enough ti install LILO as the bootloader (no, that wasn't the stupid thing) and had XP on my other drive. well greedy @$$ me wanted my RH8 harddrive for windows for a bit, so i formatted the 10GB HD with RH8 on it, and then when i went to reboot ... all i got were the infamous 99 parade as I called it. So word to the wise, and not so wise like me who did this ... DON'T do that. the worse thing is ... i did it again sometime later. cause i had first thought it was just a bug in the system. but this time i only got GRUB cause i had installed the Grub bootloader. so i am an UberIdiot for allowing it to happen twice. That happened about a year ago, and since then i have just said kapooie to dual boots and run only Linux. and if i feel like playing with Windows, i just use a pos box i have.

-QD
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

you know what you could do is jst buy another hd and put windows on there. i mean if your not planning on using windows all that much you can jst put the hd in there nad keep the cables disconnected from it and then go inside the computer and switch the cables from the linux hd to the windows hd. that should work but it was jst something that came to mind when reading your post, QD.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    wow yea. that could work. but honestly, im a lazy comp geek. so that would be too much work for me. but maybe other readers could take that great advice. cause it would work now that i think about it. just switch each cord when you want, and when the BIOS loads up, it will just read that one Hard drive. Wow, bravo for that idea. i had never thought of that before, and no one has even said anything like that. that could have said me alot of time reinstalling different OS's back a years ago. Cause i used to switch back and forth every month or so cause i was still in that transition period of going from Windows and Linux.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

yeah it would work pretty slick i havented tryed it. and you know what else could work http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...u=R75-2000%20P
    an electronic Harddrive switcher. maybe someone will take my ideas into consideration.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Good to hear from y'all!

The reference to windows is but one possibility for separate boot system.

I have three versions of Linux which I wish to have independent boot.

This can be done by removing the drive, install desired one and reboot.(hda)

I had hoped for a way to do boot on selected drives without depending on one master boot as is the situation now. Can't use grub with video ram interfering, so lilo is alternative.

What I want is independent boot, no floppy, and no CD.
    With pci-ide, the floppy doesn't reverse-ide so wrong drive is addressed
    Kernel-panic.

Same would happen if floppy data was installed in CD

Like the farmer said, you just can't get there from here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast