Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday and its my first experience with Linux. I'm running a D-Link PCI Ethernet Card and a SpeedStream 5100 DSL Modem. The service is SBC and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADSL and Mandrake 9.1

Just installed Mandrake 9.1 yesterday and its my first experience with Linux. I'm running a D-Link PCI Ethernet Card and a SpeedStream 5100 DSL Modem. The service is SBC and in Windows its a PPPoE connection. I've run the ADSL wizard in Mandrake and unselect LAN like others have said and select ADSL and do the correct username and password.

It will not connect. Never has and can't figure it out. I've Googled this 900 times and can't find anything. Everything people say says it should just work but its not and my very limited use of Linux isn't helping.

Any help is appreciated.

Dillon Poole

Linux Guru
    Is the modem connected to the ethernet card, or are the modem and ethernet card independent of each other?

Linux User
    When I used mandrake, I remeber never beeing able to connect, so I tried out rp-pppoe. www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe

And it worked

Just Joined!
    To the first question, they are seperate, the Ethernet card being internal, the modem being external, no USB or router.

For the second, RP-PPPoE comes with Mandrake now, still didn't do me any good.

Linux Guru
    The precompiled programs that come with distributions don't always work as they're supposed to. Try downloading it from the link that Kriss provided and recompile it. Then follow the instructions of the README and INSTALL files and see if it works any better.